• Tank cars stored at Bath

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Fireman43

A number of tank cars seem to be stored on sidings on the B and H Bath and on the Industrial track heading toward 415.
Some of the cars seem to be new or refurbished .
I know cars are stored all over the place awaiting business but looking at them what might these be used for ? I know lousy pic but curious.
  by Fireman43

Never thought of that and now after a few cups of coffee it’s becoming much clearer, is that the propane facility?
Thanks

Another question ::
Is the water filling facility the BH built to handle PA fracking still in business?
Not sure which township to the east that is placed
Mark
  by Ken Rice

In that photo the left two cars look like they might be propane cars, but the right two don’t.
  by RailKevin

I can't tell if the cars have hazmat placards. Cars that carry (or have residual) would have red placards.
  by NHV 669

The parking lot photo and the facility linked via GMAPS are 5 miles apart, going to wager a guess the two are related.
  by Fireman43

Thanks
Next time I’m down in bath I’ll ck for the markings .

That propane facility————- is that is for off loading propane to the storage tanks that then local propane companies would draw from ?

More questions now for me to get sidetracked -
What are those storage ponds adjacent to the propane facility?
  by Ken Rice

There’s some test on this page that describes it fairly well: https://casetext.com/case/matter-of-bat ... torage-inc
They use old salt mines underground for storage. The mines are always full, they just displace brine with gas or vice versa. The large ponds on the surface as displaced brine.
I think, although I don’t know for sure, that gas is shipped both in and out by rail.
  by Fireman43

Interesting how much I don’t know!!
In regards to the propane storage here (I believe is called Steuben Storage) had it been a salt mine? The picture I’ve attached ‘should be it’?
I’m remembering all the controversies about attempts to use the salt caverns on Seneca Lake.
Were not those plans abandoned ?