Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by njtmnrrbuff

The Montauk should definately be double tracked all the way to Patchogue. It would be nice to build a second platform at Patchogue Station as that station has gotten very busy during the summer. As for installing third rail on the Central Branch, this isn't a bad idea. That would enable electric trains terminating in Babylon to travel on the Central Branch to NYP, especially the ones that run almost nonstop from Babylon to Jamaica. Yes, unfortunately people who board the trains in Freeport might not be too happy to hear this but I have noticed that those nonstop electric trains on the Babylon seem to take a bit long in the schedule unlike a decade ago. Yes, they are following local trains. Freeport isn't far out on the Island at all so even if that city had more Babylon local trains stopping there, it might not make the who difference timingwise. Having the third rail on the Central Branch would allow direct commutes from Babylon to Mineola and Hicksville as well as more trains heading from the Montauk Line to stop at those places.
  by Jeff Smith

Agree: double-track to Patchogue, and put in a second platform. IIRC there's double track through the station and some of "downtown" Patchogue already; they can start on the platform right away.
  by chaoscraig

MACTRAXX wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:27 am electrifying the Central Branch
Hey all, New to the forum.

Any updates on the central branch?

I work as a QC inspector for a subcontractor on the main line project mainly covering signal, substation, communications, and utilities.. Now that the project is winding down I need to consider jumping ship. The central branch would be a nice gig for me communing from south shore Suffolk county.