• Depew Station and BUF Airport

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by R36 Combine Coach

After realizing that BUF (Buffalo-Niagara International) Airport is only 2.4 miles up Dick Road from Depew station,
has there been any attempts "train to the plane" connections between the two? There is only taxi service at this
time, but having a tie-in or "train to plane" marketing connection could stimulate air and rail travel, especially
from upstate passengers who could ride to the airport. Shuttles could be time to meet trains.
  by Roadgeek Adam

NFTA has some strange holes in its system, speaking from living off the 49 bus route and near a street that needs a full route. Why a route from the airport via Dick Road doesn't exist I don't get it. In order to get from Depew station to the airport, it requires 2 different bus transfers going multiple miles.

It definitely is something that needs to be rectified in general (a full length bus down Dick Road).
  by Greg Moore

My guess, unlike BWI which has dozens of trains, the fact that Depew has what, less than a dozen all day, makes it far less useful of a connection.
  by STrRedWolf

Greg Moore wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:03 pm My guess, unlike BWI which has dozens of trains, the fact that Depew has what, less than a dozen all day, makes it far less useful of a connection.
Not only that, BWI's Airport has it's own bus service that shuttles between the terminals and the station. It provides the same for daily/monthly and some reserved parking lots.

Compare with Newark International, and you get a monorail that goes from a NEC/NJ Transit station to the airport and around.

The key here is that isn't not funded by any public transit agency. It's funded by the airport itself.

There is only one that IS funded by a public transit agency: San Jose to the Santa Clara Transit Center. You used to take a free #10 bus, now you gotta take the regular #60 bus.
  by StLouSteve

I've made that transfer a few times. Usually coming off the Lake Shore then Uber or Lyft to the airport and pick up a rental car. My destination is Rochester or the Finger Lakes, but sometimes it is easier/cheaper to get a rental car at Buff airport than in Rochester (which is a much longer taxi or uber from downtown station to the airport).

I often return my rental back to Buf airport as I've found that flying to the midwest on Southwest from Buf is usually easier (than Roc or now Syr) as SW flies nonstop to Chicago, whereas from Roc or Syr, you have to go thru Baltimore and then change.
  by STrRedWolf

StLouSteve wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:26 am I've made that transfer a few times. Usually coming off the Lake Shore then Uber or Lyft to the airport and pick up a rental car. My destination is Rochester or the Finger Lakes, but sometimes it is easier/cheaper to get a rental car at Buff airport than in Rochester (which is a much longer taxi or uber from downtown station to the airport).

I often return my rental back to Buf airport as I've found that flying to the midwest on Southwest from Buf is usually easier (than Roc or now Syr) as SW flies nonstop to Chicago, whereas from Roc or Syr, you have to go thru Baltimore and then change.
Yeah, the transfers are a killer since Baltimore's a Southwest hub... and almost as cheap as Amtrak for me, being close by.

Looking at the latest timetables available online... yeah, I can't knock you flying back through Buffalo-Depew. The train back is minutes after midnight. I was going to ask "Why not take it back/just fly all the time" before I saw the schedule... and now know why.