• River Line Crowded!

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by chuchubob

Heavy/commuter rail could run as far south as 36th Street. River LINE has its own ROW from 36th Street to Waterfront and can operate simultaneously with freights.

I can't say whether "heavy rail" could operate into Rand or not.

by Bill R.

Irish Chieftain wrote:Why, is all R7 service utterly dependent on Trenton-Philly customers? Last I looked, the River Line does not serve Levittown, Bristol, Croydon, Eddington, Cornwells Heights, Torresdale, Holmesburg Junction, Tacony, Bridesburg, nor any part of Philadelphia...and the R7 does not serve Camden, Pennsauken, Palmyra, Riverton, Cinnaminson, Riverside, Delanco, Beverly, Edgewater Park, Burlington, Florence, Rœbling, Bordentown, nor any part of southern Trenton. The R7 is in no danger, nor has it ever served the parts of NJ that the River Line now serves
Weekend rail use up (BurlCo Times)

IC-

I was dealing in the context of weekend service, which is much more Phila-NYC oriented than during weekdays. You points regarding service territories are well taken; the concerns expressed by others is that PA folks would cross the river to NJ for the cheaper ride, even if it is more time consuming. Obviously, there is no longer much reason for someone traveling SJ-NYC to go to Philadelphia, unless they want to pay for Amtrak. Therefore, R7 will lose some passengers.

At this point, SEPTA certainly doesn't need much in the way of motivation for cutting service as a way to try to close the alleged $70 million funding gap looming for next fiscal year.

The newspaper article above reports heavy River Line ridership during weekends.

My own impression is that, to the extent that the River Line could be synchronized with the NJT NEC trains that do not have a SEPTA connection, this actually offers more opportunites for Phila-NYC travel on weekends.

Most of the low price travel market share is probably already being served by the Asian bus companies.

by transit383

My own impression is that, to the extent that the River Line could be synchronized with the NJT NEC trains that do not have a SEPTA connection, this actually offers more opportunites for Phila-NYC travel on weekends.
Not only that, but these connections could be more or less guaranteed. We've all heard the horror stories about the poor connections between SEPTA and NJT at Trenton. Now, the connections would be within the same company and be more lenient (much like holding trains at Secaucus).
  by bellstbarn

I rode several sections of the River Line yesterday. About 10:30 a.m. at Bordentown, I boarded a crowded car for Trenton. Two inspectors were checking tickets as we boarded. One then suggested that I fold down a seat in the opposite doorway. Both got off at Cass Street, met two other inspectors on the platform.

The 12:30 p.m. from Trenton filled all seats. When I got off at Bordentown, I counted 96 cars parked in the lot. I drove to Riverside to find the Madison Pub (a block south of the station), enjoyed lunch and a visit to the library. Again, the single car to Camden had 90 seats filled. Many stayed on to the Aquarium. At the terminus, I found that the Performing Arts Center had an info office with necessary rest room.

At 3:30 p.m., I counted 53 passengers (40 adults) awaiting the next northbound at Aquarium. I walked up Market Street to observe city life, see City Hall, the Cathedral (locked), and the chained entrance to City Hall PATCO station. I must admit that the Broadway (Walter Read) conglomeration of mass transit services (bus, PATCO, River Line) is handy, each a few steps from the other.

As predicted, the 4:11 northbound was already packed. This was the second time I heard father-with-child say, "We'll wait for the next one." I suggested that he join me in getting through the doorway crowd to find standing room in the seating area, near a grab hand. I like the provision of fold-down seats, but people with strollers were seated there blocking the entrance. Kids with small bikes boarded at Palmyra and did not use the bike racks. Pennsauken Lot had about 30 cars at 3 p.m., 20 cars at 4:23. Even when ticket inspectors boarded at Beverly (?) they made no attempt to squeeze their way through the crowd, which lasted to Bordentown Towne Centre.

At 5 p.m., 15 autos were in the Roebling Lot, and 22 were at Florence. (The new entrance from U.S. 130 was blocked by construction barrels, even though signs instructed drivers to enter there.) My 5:17 south from Roebling was the only two-unit train I rode, and I easily found a seat. Five or six got off at Riverside with me, one obviously a Trenton office worker who headed to her car, one of the 22 cars in the Riverside Lot at 5:47 when I counted. In summation, there was plenty of on-and-off local traffic in addition to the Aquarium groups and the fares originating at Trenton or Camden-Rand.

by matt1168

Irish Chieftain wrote:
Bill R. wrote:The last thing that needs to happen is for the River Line to cut into the viability of R7 service
Why, is all R7 service utterly dependent on Trenton-Philly customers?
Just about...