• More flying-Southern Tier Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

My friend called and ask me to fly with him. He was going to Hornell, Dansville and return to Lancaster. Caught some good photos.

Theses two photos are the town Castile with the rail line in view. We are NW of Letchworth State Park.

This shows the current and former ROW’s and the bridge crossing at Letchworth.

Sun glinting off the rails. Looking east.

The crossing.
  by SST

Here are a couple of pics at Swain. You can see an eastbound NS holding and the ROW at the ski resort including the curve.

After this we proceeded to Hornell. As I followed the rails and as we approached Rt36@I-86 it suddenly dawned on me ….Alstom! Almost a lost opportunity. First picture is the depot north of Alstom. Second is Alstom. Turn table in view.

On our way towards Dansville a Cargolux 747-400F flew overhead going to JFK. Couldn’t resist.
  by SST

After the 747 we came upon DSV and was just barely able to capture this photo.

The next few photos are near Nunda where the abandoned ROW can be seen.

Just forward of the wing

Above the wing tip. You can see the Y.

Letchworth as we crossed back over it.

CSX main while on final to Lancaster. Saw no CSX trains in the air. But as soon as we were on the ground out they came.
  by Fireman43

SST
On one of your earliest pics of Letchworth you show the current and "former" ROW on the west approach to.
the bridge, just curious the purpose of swinging the ROW to its current location as the original ROW appears to have been a gradual curve to the bridge.
No big deal, just one of those questions i have that pops up.
thanks
Mark
  by pumpers

SST wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:45 am "Saw no CSX trains in the air "
That certainly would have been newsworthy :smiley:

Thanks for posting. Jim S
  by Fireman43

Thanks for the link and background .
Now I know !