• Monmouth Junction question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:11 am
#1584862 by JohnFromJersey
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:34 am
The line from Freehold to Farmingdale is not the Southern Secondary, It is the Freehold Industrial Track or FIT. The Southern runs from Red Bank to Lakehurst. The FIT runs from Jamesburg to Farmingdale. To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 road brides:
1> The Rte 33 bypass is recently made and I'm petty sure it has plenty of clearance.
2> The Rte 33 business may need to be addressed, but I have been under that bride and it looks to have enogh clearance for plate F, although I may be wrong.
Oops, meant to say Farmingdale-Red Bank.
  by GSC

Not sure of the height clearance of the Freehold Business 33 bridge. Hard to imagine the amount of traffic that caused a bridge to be built in the first place. Love to go back in time to see it.

The Business 33 bridge is a classic Pennsy "Pipe Bridge", the handrails giving away the design. You never know, they might decide to take the bridge down, like they did on Rt 520 in Marlboro. Get pics just in case. Just be careful when approaching the self-storage place along the ROW, as there is a hobo / homeless camp there that isn't too friendly.

Maybe with the enhanced freight service we all wish for, Clayton and Nescafe might acquire rail service again. We can dream.