• Speno in Syracuse

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

What was the purpose of the building before Speno used it for their rail trains in East Syracuse? Was it industrial or rail related? Thanks.

Charles
  by RSD15

It was a early NYC diesel shop built near the round house. I understand it was known as the square house.
  by nydepot

Thanks.
  by jbeckley68

I believe the old Speno was once the NYC Inspection building. (as far as I know, no NYC Diesels used the building)

Diesels were fueled, sanded down near the two humps and then in early 50's NYC built a diesel house on north side of yard.

(I have nice article somewhere that shows the wood used, etc to build the square house) dimensions, SQ feet
  by nydepot

Assume it's wood for the inside? The building was brick.
  by jbeckley68

Yes, the building was obviously brick on outside. The inside had allot of wood beams, etc. I will dig that article out and see if I can scan it and post? When the building burned for many hours and was total loss, I bet along with the cardboard/paper stored in there by recycling company. The extensive wood inside also contributed..