• LIRR Manager Doris Marcus playing Organ at Penn For Christmas: Date?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by FrankAndCindy

Hello everyone, First of I wish you all happy and healthy holidays. Years ago A trainman named Jeff Skinner used to do something similiar in Penn station. around the Christmas holidays . It was real nice and i say hats off to This lady. Thank you Frank and Cindy
  by southbound

I know she played it in 1974. I along with several others picked up the organ from her home and delivered it to Penn Station that year. I think her regular job was in Transportation Manpower at the time.
  by nyandw

southbound wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:11 pm I know she played it in 1974. I along with several others picked up the organ from her home and delivered it to Penn Station that year. I think her regular job was in Transportation Manpower at the time.
This has Kahn Music Co as a sponsor. Perhaps earlier then 1974?
  by fender52

I believe in the 70's Doris was still a ticket clerk, maybe Cold Spring Harbor. Her husband Tom was in Manpower for years.

Quick question, didn't Walter Hilsenbeck also play the organ in Penn for a few years. I know he had an organ at his home too.
  by Kelly&Kelly

Yes, her husband Tom Marcus was a crew dispatcher well into the 1980's. And Walter Hilsenbeck, Sr. was a passeneger trainmaster who did indeed play the Penn Station organ around Christmas at least for several years.