• Interesting discovery in Lewiston

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by trainsinmaine

I was in Lewiston a few days ago in the vicinity of Crowley's Junction, where the old Portland & Rumford Falls branch of the MEC met the Lewiston Lower. Much to my surprise, I found that about a half-mile of the P&RF, which was abandoned in 1933, is still there, fully intact! Large trees have grown up between the rails so it's difficult to trace, but it still exists, track, ties and all, from Crowley's to Webster Road (and maybe beyond, to I-95 --- I didn't check). An amazing find, after 72 years.
  by wolfmom69

This is NOT the Portland & Rumford Falls,but the original Androscoggin RR.. The Portland & Rumford Falls left the MEC mainline at Rumford Jct.,which is just off Hackett Rd. in Auburn(and still a name of a Guilford Passing siding there). Tracks ran to the L_A airport, crossed the SLR twice,over through Poland area,into Mech Falls,crossed SLR again,and meandered up through Hebron,Buckfield and Canton area.

It WAS the original line to Rumford,but once a connection was bulit by MEC from Livermore Falls(present route) it began to decline. By 1947,no more through freights,only segement open was from Canton(where it joined the Rumford Branch from Livermore Falls,down to Poland Corner(stationthere is just off Rt. 26 and is beautifully restored as a home). Tracks all torn up in 1952,except for a short segment to serve a large tannery in Canton. Tracks abandoned in 1970 there.

Segment of track you saw,was the part of the original line from Brunswick to Leeds Jct. then to Farmington.(they built from Crowley's to Lewiston Lower later on!). The segment from Crowley's to Leed's Jct. was abandoned in early 1930's,and biggest user were 2 large mills in Sabbattus. Most of the tracks were ripped out,except for the small section used to store cars in the 1930's,and could be used for switching Polar Chemical at Crowley's, a rail user until the 70's.

Bud :P
  by trainsinmaine

Sorry --- I had the names of the two branches confused. I know about the P&RF; I've traced quite a bit of it from Auburn up through Mechanic Falls to Canton. (The last I knew, a short stub of it was still in existence there.) I have seen the former Poland station; it is indeed beautiful. I also drove over the filled-in overpass at Empire before it was leveled about 15 years ago.

There are lots of vestiges of both lines. The Androscoggin ROW through Sabattus is plainly visible all the way through the village.

Doug

by SLR 393

Most of the PRF ROW is a snowmobile trail now, also accessible by mountain bike if so inclined. the ROW cuts across my mother in law's house in MEchanic Falls, there are still signal piers there.