• Colorado Rockies Questions

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by west point

HEP on 2 or more loco trains is occasionally switched to trailing units. used to balance fuel use. Have observed the switch when a train is delayed for problems ahead such as a derailment or freight hitting a vehicle. Engineer does not want to run out of fuel in the lead unit causing a lot of problems. Wonder what is the fuel consumption of running a stopped train per hour providing HEP ?
  by Denver Dude

So HEP is usually generated from the front unit on a 2-unit train?
I am guessing that the prime movers burn through at least 2-3 gallons a minute for the locomotive providing HEP. I don't know their throttle position but it sounds high and I don't think it changes. An idling P42 probably burns 30 gallons or so per hour. Just a guess.
  by Backshophoss

Amtrak uses one source of HEP at a time,normally the trailing unit supplies HEP, that reduces HP to the rail on that unit. Single unit power supplies HEP and traction power to rails
Under certain conditions, such as grade ,Engineer has option to kill HEP on single unit trains,or if 2nd unit has inroute failure remaining unit supplies HEP to keep moving
  by Denver Dude

That makes sense. West Point had said "HEP on 2 or more loco trains is occasionally switched to trailing units," which didn't make sense to me. I would thing HEP is always on the training unit on a train with two locomotives.