• Relief, Ohio Problems

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by JimBoylan

What's the situation in Relief, Ohio on CSXT?
I'm trying to get loaded cars out of the Reed Minerals facility destimed to a customer on my line (TYBR) in Fairless, Pa. It takes weeks and a lot of phone calls to get them moving. One of CSX's excuses it that the train is scheduled to run Tuesdays and Thursdays, but their computer isn't set up to make a "work order" for it to do anything, so the train either never leaves Russell, Ky., or runs light past all the business.
HMLX 4138 and HMLX 4140 have been sitting there since July 14 and 21.

I am hoping that the railfan community might be able to tell me what CSX in Jacksonville hedquarters doesn't know. For instance, is there a crew or locomotive shortage in this area, is it reached by trackage rights over a different road that can't supply a pilot, or even swithed by some other railroad? Is the line subject to regular washouts? I suspect that the line doesn't see regular service, so news of real traffic and the dates when a train might run could be of much interest.

James F. Boylan
General Freight Agent
Tyburn Railroad Co.
Fairless, Pa.
[email protected]

by Redside20

another case of the "one" plan in action. one train gets moved at a time.

by Sam Damon

Tongue only slightly in cheek:

Write a letter outlining your problems. Keep it polite.

Address it to CSXT Headquarters in Jacksonville (find their address on the website), making sure you mark it:

ATTN: Big Cheese

and let the CSXT secretaries figure it out.

One last thing: if you do this, please post back here and let us all know how it worked out. Have a lovely day.

by JimBoylan

Redside20 wrote:another case of the "one" plan in action. one train gets moved at a time.
Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons that CSX has proposed, that THE train just doesn't go there [to Relief, Ohio]. I'm hoping that members of this Group can tell me more about what's really happening. One of the cars has been waiting 3 weeks as of 8/4!

James F. Boylan
TYBR
  by thirdtrick

i'm ashamed to report that the confusion & lack of accountability you have encountered in your dealings with csx is not a situation specific to your particular area, (crew shortages, etc.) but rather a system & company-wide breakdown that is the direct result of habitual corporate mismanagement.

as an employee who has to live & deal with this same chaotic juggernaut down in jacksonville, i would suggest that you focus your energies at a more local level. if russel, ky is indeed the terminal responsible for servicing your industry, then there is a yardmaster or trainmaster there who can easily assist you in your service needs. they know who to call, how to get you on the 'work order' etc. because that's what they deal with every day. the vast majority of yardmasters that i've dealt with will do everything in their power to keep an industry serviced, because the more business they have helps to keep their jobs & budget intact.

i wish i could tell you how to find the number of the yard office. if jacksonville doesn't know, then probably any train crew in that area would be happy to put you in touch with the right person.

best of luck.

by JimBoylan

After 3 and 2 weeks, the cars finally moved. They're reported in Parkerburg, W.Va. 8/5 7:30 a.m.

by Sam Damon

JimBoylan wrote:After 3 and 2 weeks, the cars finally moved. They're reported in Parkerburg, W.Va. 8/5 7:30 a.m.
Glad to hear that.

I'd still write the letter to the CSXT headshed in Jacksonville, outlining your problems, and addressed to "Big Cheese."