Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Jeff Smith

RTandS.com: Metro-North Railroad to begin construction to replace two New Haven Line bridge spans in Port Chester

I wonder if this project will include demo to the old siding bridge on Highland St. that went to LifeSavers, now a MOW yard?
MTA Metro-North Railroad today announced major construction will begin in July to replace two New Haven line bridges over Willet Avenue and Highland Street and one retaining wall located near US-1 and Boston Post Road in Port Chester. Prep work to transform the bridges began at both sites in March ahead of construction to replace the nearly 130-year-old bridges.
The construction will transform both bridges by making both safety and aesthetic improvements. Work on the bridges will improve the safety and reliability of the railroad by bringing the existing bridges in line to current design standards. Additionally, replacement of both bridge spans will improve the vertical clearance of the bridges for traffic and emergency vehicles below.

The open deck bridges will be replaced with ballast deck bridges, which will improve the noise made when trains go over the spans making it quieter for residents nearby. The stone bridge abutments, which support the bridges, will be cleaned to improve the overall look of the bridges and surrounding areas.

The bridge spans on the northeast corridor are for railroad use only and carry the Metro-North New Haven Line, Amtrak and freight. Of the 4 tracks on the corridor one track will be taken out at a time to complete the bridge replacements. There will be no impact to customer travel times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Train60

Here's a link to the recent Metro-North press release on this topic, which includes renderings of the new bridges:

http://www.mta.info/press-release/metro ... line-train

I wonder if the reduced speed on the curve east of Port Chester Sta. will be increased once this work is complete. I suspect no, since this project does not appear to include the open deck bridge over the Post Road.