• Riding Coach - Would You Or Wouldn't You?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

Likely the most relevant active topic at which to post this Opinion material, that I have yet to see in print:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/opin ... virus.html

Fair Use:
..There are many reasons to travel by train: a fear of heights, lack of official ID, cost, legroom, the desire to watch the landscape meld smoothly without having to stop for gas. During the coronavirus pandemic, many businesses are shuttered, but most of Amtrak’s trains are still open for business.

Some brave travelers continue to use the railroad, deemed an essential service, crossing states with different rules and approaches to containing the spread of the virus. Rather than adhering to individual states’ rules, Amtrak has a blanket policy for its passengers, creating a kind of ministate of its own. Here are a few of the travelers on a route from Chicago to Los Angeles..
Honestly, when I learn of material from a print publication such as The Times, that appears only at the web, I have to question why I pay what I pay to "hear the thump on my porch" 365 a year. Like many another of my age, I have never learned how to read the paper on line.
  by jhdeasy

I've traveled in coach on Amtrak many times since the spring of 1971. Daytime (not overnight) trips only. Longest (in terms of miles or time) North American coach trips that I remember were Toronto to New York in both directions; one way Nashville to Chicago (Floridian); Atlanta to New Orleans in both directions (Southern Railway's Southern Crescent).

I've also traveled in coach for daytime trips in Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Belgium, West Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and Greece.

I would never ride coach for an overnight trip. Thanks to various configurations of sleeping cars in North America, Europe and Africa, I never have traveled coach for an overnight trip.
  by BAR

The May 11 issue of The New Yorker includes an entertaining article by Anthony Lane entitled "The Enduring Romance of the Night Train." It is mainly about European sleeping cars but also has some references to American trains and mentions the well known sleeping car scenes in "North by Northwest" and "Some Like It Hot." Well written and definitely worth a read.

BAR
  by pudgym29

Yes. Oh yes.
I'm going to omit the legendary "Crazy Train" which twelve homebrewers had between Chicago and Portland, Oregon to attend the American Homebrewers' Association's 'National Homebrew Conference' in July 1993. Suffice that we had a homebrewer who worked for Amtrak (on the Texas Eagle), and he managed to get us a bi-level SuperLiner car for all of us.
But my last few trips on Amtrak have been the Lake Shore Limited (448/29) between CUS and Cleveland, OH. I began taking Amtrak after the fare for MegaBus significantly increased, and its timing went out of sync for me arriving on Friday before 17:00 and leaving Sunday after 17:00. (I went there for Cinema Wasteland, a "drive-in and B-movie exposition". It is scheduled for 2-4 October, but I think it will be cancelled again due to COVID-19.)
I am a night person. So the overnight runs to | from CLE do not bother me. What bothers me is the lack of transit service from Tower City to the Amtrak station anywhere near the time the Amtrak trains arrive. Purchasing the tickets in advance at CUS cost only $92.00. This puts me in a coach seat during the trip. I might try and connect to Amtrak wi-fi on my laptop, but if I don't, it is OK. There is not much to view outside until the return trip, when it begins brightening in north central Indiana.
For me, it does the job. When (If?) this COVID-19 situation ever becomes ‘manageable’, and Cinema Wasteland occurs; I'll check other modes of travel, but Amtrak is in a good position.
  by Tadman

I don't think the Cleveland trains have wifi installed at all. You could tether your cell phone, thats what I do.