Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Pensyfan19

Does anyone know what happened to this GE U34CH? Originally built for the C&NW as 934 it was sold to the NJT and even Metro North for passenger and later work service. Does anyone know what happened to this locomotive? There is a picture of it in a C&NW livery abandoned in Mexico City, Mexico claimed to be taken in early 2003. I do not think this is the same locomotive. I am doing research on this engine for an upcoming project/video I am making for my youtube series.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/Locopi ... x?id=69197

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/LocoPi ... x?id=81384

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/LocoPi ... x?id=86992
  by ConstanceR46

look at the title of the one abandoned in mexico city
  by Pensyfan19

ConstanceR46 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:02 pm look at the title of the one abandoned in mexico city
Ok. Does anyone have further info of this engine's service on metro north and/or njt by any chance?
  by Backshophoss

(NJDOT/NJT) MN 4183 was a WOH orphan,remanufactured at GE Erie,it became the "token" MN power as MN took interest in
the WOH services. I't's possible 4183 would have gotten painted in the silver/red /blue scheme the MN B-23-7's had,if retained.
The U34CH fleet was a bit battle weary when NJT was created,EL did "Lease" them for Weekend freight service at some point in the past.
MN 4183 was built long after the original production run at Erie,as an "add on order"
Over time NJT evolved into an EMD Products only Fleet,so the U34CH's were retired/scrapped, with only 1 survivor in a Museum.
  by Pensyfan19

Backshophoss wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:04 pm (NJDOT/NJT) MN 4183 was a WOH orphan,remanufactured at GE Erie,it became the "token" MN power as MN took interest in
the WOH services. I't's possible 4183 would have gotten painted in the silver/red /blue scheme the MN B-23-7's had,if retained.
The U34CH fleet was a bit battle weary when NJT was created,EL did "Lease" them for Weekend freight service at some point in the past.
MN 4183 was built long after the original production run at Erie,as an "add on order"
Over time NJT evolved into an EMD Products only Fleet,so the U34CH's were retired/scrapped, with only 1 survivor in a Museum.
Ok. Thank you very much. Stay tuned for an episode of this engine on my random locomotive documentary series known as "Remarkable Engines". I'm uploading an episode about NJT's ex-NYC GP40s within the next few days, and while researching those engines I came upon this one and felt that it would also be worthy to do an episode of.
  by DutchRailnut

4183 was considered as work train engine for East of Hudson , but after checking clearances it was found to be restricted to some 22% of railroad. not only because 6 axles but the length of engine with the big tank would have fouled signals in or near switches like in GCT/Harmon/ MO .
also according to Shop Manager in Harmon these U34ch's were troublesome due to hollow crankshaft, not used on any other U boats .
It was therefor decided to cut the unit up in 1993 not sure who contractor was it may have been usual suspect in Newark.
  by Tadman

Backshophoss wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:04 pm The U34CH fleet was a bit battle weary when NJT was created,EL did "Lease" them for Weekend freight service at some point in the past.
I'm sure it had something to do with Conrail not caring and EL not having much money, but it's nuts that a 12-yo fleet was weary. Similar-age power is still operating today in secondary service, albeit after a rebuild or two.
  by Pensyfan19

Tadman wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:38 pm
Backshophoss wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:04 pm The U34CH fleet was a bit battle weary when NJT was created,EL did "Lease" them for Weekend freight service at some point in the past.
I'm sure it had something to do with Conrail not caring and EL not having much money, but it's nuts that a 12-yo fleet was weary. Similar-age power is still operating today in secondary service, albeit after a rebuild or two.
That's without mentioning all of the steam locomotives built in the 1940s which were replaced by diesels with nearly 10 years of service. Or certain Japanese multiple units which had no revenue service at all and were scrapped when only a few years old.

But thank you everyone for this information. :-)
  by Backshophoss

EL didn't have a major shop in NJ,not sure if the U34's went to Croxton engine house or got tended to at Hoboken MU shop.
NJDOT's contract shop and early in the NJT era,the ex-CNJ shop at Elizabethport was the go to shop for repairs and repainting.
That was not easy access from Hoboken.
  by mackdave

When they were new they were serviced at EL's Croxton roundhouse. We did monthly inspections on them as well as power assemblies, oil changes and brake work. When Croxton was closed they were serviced in the Lackawanna diesel shop in Scranton for a while. After that it was E'port and who knows.....I don't think E'port ever saw a GE before them.

Dave Mackay
EL machinist helper 1972
  by Backshophoss

CNJ E-port was a EMD, Alco, and RDC shop,also the passenger car shop as well, was on active remains of the CNJ main to Jersey City