• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by lordsigma12345

If I had to guess it’ll coincide with the rumored schedule change for the Meteor that is supposedly going to reduce it to only needing three trainsets. I would imagine the Florida services are getting the VL2s while the VL1s will be used for Crescent, Cardinal, and Lake Shore. This probably is the most prudent way to set it up.
  by gokeefe

What exactly is the change supposedly?
  by lordsigma12345

gokeefe wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:29 pm What exactly is the change supposedly?
Rumor has it they are thinking of moving 97 to a later departure time that would allow for a same day turn of equipment at NYP.
  by Backshophoss

After all the View II sleepers are online,the View I sleepers will cycle thru Bear for long overdue overhaul and reconfigured to match the View II's.
  by Tadman

Backshophoss wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:08 pm After all the View II sleepers are online,the View I sleepers will cycle thru Bear for long overdue overhaul and reconfigured to match the View II's.
I've heard this a few times and it's probably a good idea. The big question is, will a large part of the fleet be out of action, meaning a year or more wait until there are two sleeper fleets out east? Or will they take 2-3 at a time? The second answer makes more sense, especially if the work is being done in Miami, where the shop just isn't that big.
  by andegold

Other than removing/sealing up the toilets in the roomette what will be done to the old cars? Will it just be a deep clean and reupholstering or are there other structural renovations planned? Is there an actual (published) plan or is this all speculation?
  by Backshophoss

As the interior is moduler,pull off the wall plug and swap everything,out with the old ,in with the new interior modules :wink:
Along with a full rebuild of the trucks and underframe equipment
  by lordsigma12345

The most recent five year plan removes any mention of re configuring the VL1s to match the VL2s (it was in there last year). It appears, based on the report, they are instead considering just deploying them on different routes to maintain consistency. It does state that the VL1s are due for a "refresh" though in a similar manner to what was done for the Amfleets so probably a refreshing of surfaces, cushions, lighting, carpeting etc..
Last edited by lordsigma12345 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by WhartonAndNorthern

andegold wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:23 am Other than removing/sealing up the toilets in the roomette what will be done to the old cars? Will it just be a deep clean and reupholstering or are there other structural renovations planned? Is there an actual (published) plan or is this all speculation?
They also need to install new toilets in the "missing" roomette. I imagine they'll also refurbish the plumbing and HVAC to the V2 standard. Here, I'm assuming that lessons learned from years of maintaining V1's were incorporated into the V2's and that plumbing and HVAC changes were made.
Last edited by WhartonAndNorthern on Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by lordsigma12345

If they do indeed go ahead with that and scrap re configuring them, I would predict the Florida routes would be where the VL2s are used.
  by east point

Since both types need to go to Hialeah take Meteor and Star with each type assigned to one or the other.
  by gokeefe

The "refresh" approach strongly implies keeping them in operating service.
  by exvalley

My understanding is that they will not integrate Viewliner II sets onto a route for passenger use until and unless they have enough cars for every consist for the route. This is so the booking platform knows what it is dealing with and knows exactly how many roomettes are in the consist.

Of course, for the Viewliner I cars, they could just block off the roomette that will be lost to the toilet, but I do not believe that is their plan.
  by Greg Moore

exvalley wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:00 am My understanding is that they will not integrate Viewliner II sets onto a route for passenger use until and unless they have enough cars for every consist for the route. This is so the booking platform knows what it is dealing with and knows exactly how many roomettes are in the consist.

Of course, for the Viewliner I cars, they could just block off the roomette that will be lost to the toilet, but I do not believe that is their plan.
I could see them possibly assigning a set to 448/449 since that's just one car on each train.
Might confuse folks with 48/49, but they already ticket them separately.
  by ryanov

gokeefe wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:19 pm
bostontrainguy wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:44 pmThis is such a horrible solution. I do not want to be forced to basically sit in my seat for a 24 hour train ride.
Then make sure to book a Roomette. For the fares that Amtrak charges they already provide too much. Coach really isn't supposed to be comfortable for anything more than 18 hours (and that's pushing it).
That's not any better, honestly. When 24 hours starts to feel like 24 hours -- nothing to do to pass the time -- I make other arrangements (as I now do when I used to take Amtrak for these trips).