• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ThirdRail7

Probably but the duty cycle is still relentless.
  by gokeefe

Interesting that Amtrak has proven themselves capable of running normally very reliable German engines into the ground.

As usual the Europeans completely underestimate the challenges of North American operating conditions.
  by 8th Notch

ThirdRail7 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:17 pm Aside from laying down on the job, they are now starting to drop out on multiple trains on the same date.

Two on Saturday and two for for today.

I remember when the IG complained about buying too many. It's a good thing they did order so many.
One died on 170 just outside of Providence R.I on Mon as well, main transformer failure.... I saw the fault log for the 665 that died on 162 and that one had a HEP inverter 1/2 total failure as well.
  by Gilbert B Norman

To our Amtrak Passenger Engineers around here, "I've seen 'em die" too - Overseas!

I think it was during '16, I was at Salzburg Hbf (to buy my Times; hotel had run out). I noted a Rail Jet to Vienna for which "Murphys Gesetz" seem to apply. I went to the platform, and there was the Siemens engine "smelling electrical". Because there were two sets coupled together, it had limped in from Munich. They changed out the engine and were on their way - (dreadful over there) 45 ML (Amtrakese; minutes late)
  by gokeefe

Dreadful indeed! 45 minutes late without an "unfall" (trepasser strike) is basically unheard of.
  by rcthompson04

gokeefe wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:32 pm Interesting that Amtrak has proven themselves capable of running normally very reliable German engines into the ground.

As usual the Europeans completely underestimate the challenges of North American operating conditions.
Is Amtrak that low on power that it is running them into the ground?
  by gokeefe

No. The engines just can't handle the duty cycle.
  by SRich

A manufacturer issue. Then Siemens shut fix te problems
  by east point

Would like a better definition of duty cycles. Are you meaning train assignments?. Or are you meaning train stops?. Or are you referring to the many changes in MAS that the motors are subject to combined with the train stops ?
The airline industry defines duty cycle as one take off and landing. Also one rejected take off.
  by gokeefe

I believe the issue is assignments and potentially preventive maintenance cycles (or lack thereof). "Those who know" can speak to it far better than I.
  by 8th Notch

gokeefe wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:11 pm I believe the issue is assignments and potentially preventive maintenance cycles (or lack thereof). "Those who know" can speak to it far better than I.
I would say you are spot on, the engines and trains are spun around very quickly and do not see any down/shop time unless something fails. The engines do not tolerate any abuse or abnormal conditions well so the first thing they do is go into protect mode and shut things down which sometimes can be fixed by a simple recycle but as of lately it seems like some of the issues have been more severe.
  by EuroStar

This makes one wonder if SEPTA's fleet is destined for the same future. Obviously the engines operate in different environments in terms of speed, distance travelled and stopping patters, but I doubt that SEPTA is better at preventive maintenance. SEPTA's engines are newer though, so they might have a few extra years for corrective actions.

Leaving MARC and the hippos aside, NJT is the only other commuter agency to operate significant number of electric engines. Were the ALP-46As any better at the same point of their lives with NJT? I can't imagine this being the case. NJT has not been good at maintenance for quite a while and is known to push their equipment to the limits.
  by frequentflyer

Doesn't the locomotive have predictive mx capability? Doesn't Siemens have some sort of mx contract with Amtrak? I find hard to imagine a Sprinter runs less than a Vectron over in Europe and Vectrons have a good reputation. But I bet Vectrons don't get beaten to death by the NEC track conditions like the Sprinters do.
  by mtuandrew

frequentflyer wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:13 pm Doesn't the locomotive have predictive mx capability? Doesn't Siemens have some sort of mx contract with Amtrak? I find hard to imagine a Sprinter runs less than a Vectron over in Europe and Vectrons have a good reputation. But I bet Vectrons don't get beaten to death by the NEC track conditions like the Sprinters do.
Is it the track conditions, or is it variable-frequency variable-voltage electricity? West of what used to be the Berlin Wall tends to have excellent track, but I’m not sure how far east that condition extends.
  by gokeefe

frequentflyer wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:13 pm Doesn't the locomotive have predictive mx capability? Doesn't Siemens have some sort of mx contract with Amtrak? I find hard to imagine a Sprinter runs less than a Vectron over in Europe and Vectrons have a good reputation. But I bet Vectrons don't get beaten to death by the NEC track conditions like the Sprinters do.
It may not be just the track conditions. Could also be voltage spikes, power quality, line noise or just sheer fatigue from running around at 125 MPH pulling equipment that is probably 50% heavier than equivalent European stock (even with modifications for North America).

It's worth noting that most regional trains in Europe max out at 160 KPH. Also better known as 99.9 MPH. Amtrak is routinely running their units 25% faster and over longer distances. You can take a guess how well the European hardware tolerates being pushed like that.

Of course I would acknowledge the very successful career of the European (Swedish) AEM-7 but they had their own issues (toaster fire anyone?). "Ladies and gentlemen Northeast Regional 142 will be delayed until the smoke clears and we can find another engine." At least the ACS-64 has no history at all of electrical fires of that magnitude.

Also worth noting the Chargers seem to have none of these issues at all. They never run at those speeds and don't have exposure to NEC power. Track conditions are almost certainly worse than the NEC.