• Status of the GP7s and GP9s

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by F-line to Dudley via Park

gokeefe wrote:What does Pan Am have left for GP7s?
The 7's were sold off years ago...zero left. It's just the two GP9's now. I think even the stripped hulks of some of the other parts-cannibalized GP9's that were sitting in Waterville for years have been carted off at this point.
  by oibu

THREE Gp9s, unless something happened to 72 recently.

Only two are heritage units. Although I would kind of say that in 2017 any GP9 still working for the present ownership of its original buyer, in a paint scheme that hasn't been applied to any locomotive in about a decade, and without any major modifications to either physical or mechanical configuration since it was built, qualifies as a "heritage unit" too!
  by 690

Two. The 72 is done for (aux gen and fire), and is being stripped of parts to keep the 52/77 going. Also, the 72 was the only surviving GP9 without a major rebuild, both the 52 and 77 had been rebuilt by the B&M on the early 80s with 645 power assemblies and other upgrades. 77 is LUGO right now at Waterville.
  by oibu

When did that happen? I don't recall hearing about it.
  by 690

A couple of weeks ago.
  by MEC407

690 wrote:77 is LUGO right now at Waterville.
77's vacation was apparently short-lived, per this photo by Wayne Johnson taken on Saturday:

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=238608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by thebigham

According to the PAR roster posted at the GuilfordRailSightings Yahoo Group, #72 was retired in November.
  by ereuter

I visited Heber Valley Railroad today, the buyer of the 3 GP9s. I had a nice talk with the executive director, and he said they expect them to ship out next week.
  by b&m 1566

what happened to all the post from this year?
  by Mikejf

They are in the Pan Am Heritage Locomotives discussion.
  by b&m 1566

Ahhhhhh yes, thank you.
  by thebigham

Bill Gingrich reports that 51, 62 and 71 were scrapped at Waterville in September.

72 is still in Waterville awaiting shipment to Utah.