• Amtrak Expansion Plan

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Anthony

There has also been funding set aside to start a Chicago-Rockford service. This proposal is just getting started again after being stalled since 2015.
  by gokeefe

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I (and probably many others) had completely lost track of this.
  by Greg Moore

gokeefe wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:27 pm For all the discussion recently with regards to changes I thought it was worth noting the following route expansions currently in progress or in the planning stages ...

1. Downeaster: Seasonal service to Rockland

2. Gulf Coast: Service between Orlando and New Orleans

3. Midwest: Service between Chicago, Detroit and Toronto

4. Ethan Allen: Extension to Burlington

5. Vermonter: Extension to Montreal

6. Valley Flyer: Service between Springfield and Greenfield (starting within the next 30 days)

7. Long Island: Service from New York Penn to Long Island

8. Heartland Flyer: Extension to Newton via Wichita

9. Illinois: Service between Chicago and the Quad Cities

10. Minnesota: Service between Minneapolis St. Paul and Duluth

With only the exception of #10 Amtrak already is or will be the operator of the new service. I didn't mention anything in Virginia because I don't believe there has been anything announced at this point.

I would be hard pressed to find a time when more expansion plans were underway than now. I left out the routes which might be adding frequencies as those are too numerous to list. Shocking frankly ...
Thanks for putting this list together. I've been thinking about this lately and had thought about starting a new thread to comment, but glad you resurrected this one.

Generally I'm more hopeful for Amtrak now than I have been in decades, because of expansions like this (and the previous VA and MA extensions).
BUT, there's going to but, Amtrak is going to need more equipment ultimately.

But it just dawned on me, you know, if you're extending the Ethan Allen to Burlington, and the Vermonter to Montreal, why not go ahead and extend the Ethan Allen ultimately too. I'll admit I'm not sure there's that much call, at this time for trains to Montreal, but it's an idea I might consider in say a decade. Again, once you have the Customs setup in Montreal, you've greatly simplified things.
  by bostontrainguy

gokeefe wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:27 pm For all the discussion recently with regards to changes I thought it was worth noting the following route expansions currently in progress or in the planning stages ...

1. Downeaster: Seasonal service to Rockland

2. Gulf Coast: Service between Orlando and New Orleans

6. Valley Flyer: Service between Springfield and Greenfield (starting within the next 30 days)

7. Long Island: Service from New York Penn to Long Island

8. Heartland Flyer: Extension to Newton via Wichita

9. Illinois: Service between Chicago and the Quad Cities

10. Minnesota: Service between Minneapolis St. Paul and Duluth

With only the exception of #10 Amtrak already is or will be the operator of the new service. I didn't mention anything in Virginia because I don't believe there has been anything announced at this point.

I would be hard pressed to find a time when more expansion plans were underway than now. I left out the routes which might be adding frequencies as those are too numerous to list. Shocking frankly ...
Forgot one:
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/N ... 06553.html
  by gokeefe

Here's the list as it stands right now. Pretty impressive stuff.

1. Downeaster: Seasonal service extension to Rockland

2. Gulf Coast: Service between Mobile and New Orleans

7. Berkshire Flyer: Seasonal service between New York Penn and Pittsfield

8. New York: Service from New York Penn to Long Island

9. Heartland Flyer: Extension to Newton via Wichita

10. Illinois: Service between Chicago and the Quad Cities

11. Illinois: Service between Chicago and Rockford

12. Minnesota: Service between Minneapolis St. Paul and Duluth (operator not certain to be Amtrak)

I have a feeling there's probably something in California we're missing but I don't know where. Is there a Capitol Corridor extension underway? I also corrected the error on the Gulf Coast proposal. Mobile, not Orlando is the proposed terminal (for now).
  by gokeefe

Greg Moore wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:30 pmGenerally I'm more hopeful for Amtrak now than I have been in decades, because of expansions like this (and the previous VA and MA extensions).
BUT, there's going to but, Amtrak is going to need more equipment ultimately.
I think the current procurement cycles appear to be sufficient to cover this round of expansions. By the time the next raft of proposals comes around I think we will be looking at follow on orders to the initial set of 500 +/- cars replacing the Amfleets.

With regards to Montreal, I fully agree that an existing terminal greatly simplifies cross border extensions. The problem with the Ethan Allen is that the only market you pickup is inside Vermont. The New York side is served by the Adirondack and the Massachusetts and New Hampshire markets are served by the Vermonter. Both of these trains would probably run a faster schedule as well while the Ethan Allen traverses the less direct route of the ex-Rutland RR.
  by Greg Moore

I agree that extending the Ethan Allen doesn't gain you much in terms of markets, but I'm thinking more in terms of scheduling flexibility.

Besides having obvious markets, I think having flexibility in travel times is paramount. If I have multiple options to take a train to Montreal, I may be more likely to take it at all..
That said, I wouldn't be pushing for such an extension for probably 5-6 years after the current plans have been in place.

I disagree though that current procurements are enough. I think we're already past due to start replacing/supplementing the current Amfleet I/IIs.

The incoming single-levels will certainly help and I can see the Horizons being used on say the proposed Gulf Coast expansion, but not sure about some of the others.
  by nkloudon

>>7. Long Island: Service from New York Penn to Long Island<<

Err... don't they do that now?
  by gokeefe

The thought of schedule flexibility did occur to me. Best answer why I didn't think it was relevant was the fact that all the trains are running day schedules. That is an admittedly weak argument against extension of the Ethan Allen especially given the way train pairs tend to work in corridors and the importance of schedule flexibility. Schedule flexibility also plays in to what I call "modal confidence" which could be described as 'the traveler's perception of the mode's ability to get them to their destination regardless of conditions'.

With regards to "current procurements" I was also including the Amfleet replacement which has gone out to RFP.
  by Backshophoss

Not sure if LIRR will give up the "Cannonball"
The "Sunrise Ltd" a Washington to Montauk Weekend train is possible,Connection at Jamaica or Hicksville(Divide) to Greenport
Must have Baggage service at beginning and end of season.
  by gokeefe

What's the track capacity situation on the LIRR for this type of service? I'm assuming they don't have much (if any) to spare.
  by Backshophoss

There's room at Montauk yard for Amtrak to lay over,may need to build a ground power supply,and possibly truck in fuel.
Only stops would be Jamaica or Hicksville(Divide tower) for the Greenport connection,Babylon,Speonk,Bridgehampton and Montauk .
Consist would be 4 coaches,1 Cafe,and 2 Biz class cars,1 baggage at beginning and end of season,
power is 1 P-32DM.
Season is end of April to end of Sept.
Not sure if LIRR will allow Pvt cars,or send a switcher to Montauk to to switch them on/off Amtrak,Cost could be $$$$$ :(

3rd track Mainline when online to Divide,and with the CTC now reaching Montauk,should not be a dealbreaker to run
as most sidings are within control points.
  by Greg Moore

gokeefe wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:46 pm The thought of schedule flexibility did occur to me. Best answer why I didn't think it was relevant was the fact that all the trains are running day schedules. That is an admittedly weak argument against extension of the Ethan Allen especially given the way train pairs tend to work in corridors and the importance of schedule flexibility. Schedule flexibility also plays in to what I call "modal confidence" which could be described as 'the traveler's perception of the mode's ability to get them to their destination regardless of conditions'.

With regards to "current procurements" I was also including the Amfleet replacement which has gone out to RFP.
I love the term of Modal Confidence. That's a good way of describing my feeling of flying into BWI. I never really had to think about "is there a train to DC, I know there will be one, 'soon enough'". Even just ALB-NYP, I'm generally happy with knowing (except for one spot in the morning which is annoying) "hey, there will be a train"

As for the RFP... I'll wait until I see an actual contract ;-) Call my cynical. Just don't call me late for a boxed-reheated dinner in the diner.
  by GWoodle

Add one more : Amtrak is working on having 10 trains/day Chicago-Milwaukee Hiawatha Service.
  by STrRedWolf

gokeefe wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:56 pm What's the track capacity situation on the LIRR for this type of service? I'm assuming they don't have much (if any) to spare.
None to spare. LIRR is just building more now. It'll be 2022 at least. They also need to put in PTC and ATP all the way to the end of their lines, because a good chunk of the outer edges are manual block.

http://www.amodernli.com/project/thirdtrack/

http://www.amodernli.com/project/positi ... n-control/

In short, I wouldn't run Amtrak on the LIRR in the next 5 years.