Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Otto Vondrak

When I was a kid, I was under the impression that Metra's ex-BN E9's were running around all over the place. Imagine my disapointment when I found out that they had all been retired in 1992 (earlier?)...

I don't know how news travels in the railfan circles out in the midwest, but I thought I would let you all know: It's still possible to come East and see F-units in daily revenue common-carrier operation. You need to get to Metro-North's Danbury Branch, and get there soon. The branchline shuttles operate with F units more often than not. This is the last place you can regularly see F units on Metro-North, if not the whole country. Connecticut DOT, Metro-North's partner for services in the Nutmeg State, has already leased and brought onto the property six ex-Amtrak P40's to replace the F's, which are finally nearing the end of their service life. One P40 is already holding down the Waterbury Branch shuttle. Danbury Branch is it.

Hope I'm not off-topic here- just want to give everyone fair warning! :-)

http://railroad.net/photos/nycarea/media/ov-10.jpg

-otto-

by AmtrakFan

Otto,
Thanks for the heads up.

by byte

To be fair, Otto, you weren't completely wrong. The C&NW lines were running E8s until 1990. There were less of them than on the the BN (and some of them had been repainted to Metra/RTA livery), but they were there.

by MikeF

Some of the Metra-painted E8's also ran on the Milwaukee District on weekends for one summer in the early '90s (sorry, don't recall the exact year) while the F40C's were being rebuilt.

by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I cannot forget the LIRR leasing METRA #s 516 and 521 to haul the original bilevel train back in the 1990-91-92 period. They had to be modified for LIRR service and they were used until the LIRR had 2 GP38s and a power unit converted for this train before the three rebuilt FL9s came for service. Where are 516 and 521 today? MACTRAXX

by metraRI

MikeF wrote:Some of the Metra-painted E8's also ran on the Milwaukee District on weekends for one summer in the early '90s (sorry, don't recall the exact year) while the F40C's were being rebuilt.
Here is #515 running on MILW-W in 1990.
http://www.drgw.net/~f40c/locos/515.html

by Otto Vondrak

You're right, I forgot about the non-BN units!

Would you believe I also missed the period of time when the E-units were on the LIRR, in my own backyard (close enough)?

I just want to make sure no one makes the same mistake I made! ;-) Most likely the F's will remain in operation on Metro-North through the end of summer. Metro-North is sponsoring a trip on October 23, "Farewell to the FL9." Several units are also at museums around Connecticut, so the units wont be totally lost forever.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by MikeF

MACTRAXX wrote:Where are 516 and 521 today?
Rotting away at NRE in Silvis, Ill.