• Maine Narrow Gauge Museum Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by flyingfox10

Saw #7 for my first time this past weekend. The outside frame engines sure look awesome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Jonathan

I was looking through the videos of Steam fest and noticed that one of the 2 whistles on 7 is used more often. So, I have a question. Why do engineers tend to use the brass star 3 chime more than the B&M 5 chime? Is it something to do with the placement of the 2 whistle cords?
  by flyingfox10

Stay tuned for a special announcement from Maine Narrow Gauge this Friday, 1/25 at 2:24pm EST.
  by Jonathan

I checked the MNG facebook page and the picture of the post of the announcement of the special announcement has a picture of ww&f 9. Maybe 9 is a part of the announcement.
  by flyingfox10

Once it becomes official, the news will be shared to this thread as well as the WW&F thread.
  by Jonathan

Is this announcement for something new starting this year?
  by flyingfox10

Two of Maine's Two-Foot Gauge Railroad Museums Announce an Unprecedented Collaboration

The Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum of Alna, Maine, in collaboration with the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Co. & Museum of Portland, would like to announce an unprecedented exhibition: the Narrow Gauge Railway Collection .

The Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Core Collection, highlighted by the only historic two-foot gauge parlor car ever built in the United States, the Rangeley, will be displayed at an enhanced exhibition facility on the Sheepscot campus of the WW&F Railway Museum. The exhibit will also include other select artifacts from Maine’s unique two-foot gauge railroad systems. These special pieces will be arriving at Sheepscot Station throughout 2019 for public viewing and operation on the WW&F Railway.

Further information can be seen on each museum’s webpage:
mainenarrowgauge.org and wwfry.org

Supplementary Information:
● The Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad "Core Collection" is defined as: Parlor Car Rangeley , and combination car 14 both from the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes RR and coach 16 Mt Pleasant , and caboose 32, both from the Bridgton & Saco River RR.
● "Other select artifacts" include Locomotive 8, plow 2, & tank car 14, all from the B&SR RR.
● The "enhanced exhibition facility on the Sheepscot Campus" includes enhancements to existing structures to provide additional exhibition and display space and better visitor facilities.
● Displays will be prepared and presented to the public within the exhibition space.
● Maine Locomotive & Machine Works of Alna has been an active supporter and partner in this venture; they will provide storage for some other pieces of the MNG collection, assist with transportation services, and play a part in maintenance and restoration of certain pieces.
● Look forward to jointly-produced events which highlight the partnership and utilize this equipment for unique operational opportunities on the WW&F.
  by Jonathan

flyingfox10 wrote: ● Look forward to jointly-produced events which highlight the partnership and utilize this equipment for unique operational opportunities on the WW&F.
What does this last bullet point mean?
  by flyingfox10

A few years ago a special partnership was run where Monson #3 made a guest appearance. Now that the equipment will be at WW&F for a considerable time, there are oppurtunities to run even more rare and special trips.
  by Jonathan

Are there any discussions to do something in Portland like that? Also, how can I be notified for special trips like the ones you mentioned and are there plans for anything this year?
  by elecuyer

Jonathan wrote:Also, how can I be notified for special trips like the ones you mentioned and are there plans for anything this year?
If you are not already a member of one (or both) of these organizations, please join. In fact, dues for the WW&F are going up effective May 1st - so now would be a great time to purchase a membership.

For more news, keep an eye on each organization's Facebook pages, and also the WW&F Discussion Forum: http://forum.wwfry.org.

Nothing has been set in stone for operation of anything from The Narrow Gauge Collection in 2019. However, 2019 also happens to be the WW&F's 30th anniversary, which is celebrated at the annual picnic in August.
Last edited by elecuyer on Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jonathan

I thought the surprise was going to be running on the Downeaster route from Rockland to Portland.