• B&M through Alton, NH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by jscola30

Does anyone know, other than the Alton Bay train station and another privately-owned Alton station, are there any remnants of this line?

Joe

by Steam

Other than Alton Bay and West Alton I believe there are a few others remaining as houses and camps, etc. There were quite a few "shelter" style stations along the lake, and some of those were made into camps or cottages after the railroad was abandoned. Some of the right-of-way has been converted into highway, but here and there it wanders off to the side, and some of it remains as camp roads, etc. A fascinating line. There once was a considerable yard at Alton Bay. Last year we discovered a B&M steel caboose in the puckerbrush at Alton behind the former station site. The freight house still stood nearby.

by SLR 393

Yes there are. As noted, a bunch of the stations are still standing, most modified into camps of some sort. West Alton was restored quite nicely into a house. Lakeport station was moved a couple years ago from its original spot, and I believe is still standing. The trackbed from Lakeport south is now a paved walking trail, not sure how far it goes. If you drive down along the lake you will find the places. Ames Farm used to have pics on the wall in their little store down in Gilford as well. There were two articles in B&M Bulletins about this line, both in the 90s if I remember correctly.