• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by backroadrails

Just watched a video on YouTube of MEC 501 being moved around at Conway. According to the person who took the video it will be going through a restoration. I am not sure if it will be cosmetic or operational.
  by flyingfox10

Do you have a link to the video? It bas already been cosmetically restored for the last few years. Ever since they had 7470 and 501 side by side during a night shoot at Railfans weekend.
  by drvmusic

backroadrails wrote:Just watched a video on YouTube of MEC 501 being moved around at Conway. According to the person who took the video it will be going through a restoration. I am not sure if it will be cosmetic or operational.
WOW! Thanks for the heads-up on this!!!
  by flyingfox10

https://youtu.be/s3e0T9QOhEc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like there is something inside the cylinders preventing the rods from moving full stroke. My guess is sometging may have gotten in there on its trip down the notch when tires and wood were thrown inside the smoke box and set on fire.
  by CSRR573

you would think they would buy the 360 from the state and use that as the yard switcher instead of the tractor theyve been using since 15 went down. hard to fit a road locomotive and car on the turntable
  by p42thedowneaster

I've always been told that 501 has no pistons. If you look closely, you can see there aren't even any piston rods. Perhaps the crosshead slides (although connected to the main drive rods) were only staged for static display?
  by flyingfox10

Now that you mention it, you are correct. No piston rods are in there. Which continues my thoughts on why focus on 501 and not 7470. :/ Hopefully we can see 7470 return soon, and then see 501 start her restoration.
  by Pat Fahey

Hi
I have not seemed any announcement on the locomotive being leased, or sold to the Conway Scenic Railroad, for a full restoration back to Steam. Just because they moved the locomotive, does not mean anything. Once I read it in the 470 newsletter the intentions of the club, to either Lease the locomotive to the Conway Scenic or Conway Scenic buys the locomotive outright. The movement in the video does not mean a thing.
Don't get me wrong I would love to see the Maine Central 501 back under Steam, but until an agreement is reached between the 470 Railroad and Conway Scenic. nothing is going to take place.
Let's not put the cart, before the horse.
  by bpiche84

With the 4268 vacating that spot next to the crossing management probably decided that a different loco needed to be sitting there rather than a freight car. The 501 is a better looking loco than a 45 tonner. The 501 sat there for years before it took up it's spot on the turntable and was replaced by the 4268.
  by b&m 1566

Pat Fahey wrote:Hi
I have not seemed any announcement on the locomotive being leased, or sold to the Conway Scenic Railroad, for a full restoration back to Steam. Just because they moved the locomotive, does not mean anything. Once I read it in the 470 newsletter the intentions of the club, to either Lease the locomotive to the Conway Scenic or Conway Scenic buys the locomotive outright. The movement in the video does not mean a thing.
Don't get me wrong I would love to see the Maine Central 501 back under Steam, but until an agreement is reached between the 470 Railroad and Conway Scenic. nothing is going to take place.
Let's not put the cart, before the horse.

Earlier this year, the new owners of the railroad publically stated, that they were interested in looking at the 501 and said they would like to hire an engineering firm to assess the condition of the locomotive. I don't think you will hear any offer or lease agreement until after the engine is looked over. I do agree, I think many are jumping the gun for a full restoration because the study might determine it's not feasible.
  by b&m 1566

flyingfox10 wrote:Now that you mention it, you are correct. No piston rods are in there. Which continues my thoughts on why focus on 501 and not 7470. :/ Hopefully we can see 7470 return soon, and then see 501 start her restoration.
Last I heard, work is expected to resume on the 7470 this off season and should be ready to go next summer. I guess will just have to wait and see... I really do miss those Wheel Reports.
  by bigfreight

Conway Scenic 1751 just came north thru Lancaster NH pulling a empty covered hopper from Presby Plastics headed towards Groveton. Nice horn!!!