• Tunnel To NYP Issues

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Hawaiitiki

My poor parents trying to have a night out in the city were stuck in that unholy mess. They attempted to board an NEC train around midnight after a concert, didn't reach Secaucus until 2:30 am, missed their PVL connection (by a while), and had to Uber it to Hillsdale costing them $110.

My father who is approaching 60 is a regular commuter into New York-Penn and is exploring leaving the region (with his tax dollars) because of how badly the detioration of NJT has affected his quality of life. At least 3 times a month, he is forced to either Uber it from Ridgewood or Secaucus or call a relative to pick him up, effectively doubling the cost of what he pays for a monthly. Not to mention at least once a week being delayed reaching home by an hour because of delays. We as New Jerseyans have truly been failed and we can't blame anybody for wanting to/actually leaving this dumpster fire of a state.
  by jamesinclair

Hawaiitiki wrote:My poor parents trying to have a night out in the city were stuck in that unholy mess. They attempted to board an NEC train around midnight after a concert, didn't reach Secaucus until 2:30 am, missed their PVL connection (by a while), and had to Uber it to Hillsdale costing them $110.

My father who is approaching 60 is a regular commuter into New York-Penn and is exploring leaving the region (with his tax dollars) because of how badly the detioration of NJT has affected his quality of life. At least 3 times a month, he is forced to either Uber it from Ridgewood or Secaucus or call a relative to pick him up, effectively doubling the cost of what he pays for a monthly. Not to mention at least once a week being delayed reaching home by an hour because of delays. We as New Jerseyans have truly been failed and we can't blame anybody for wanting to/actually leaving this dumpster fire of a state.
My gf just moved to Manhattan because the NJT commute was not reliable enough. Money saved on rent in NJ was being spent on wasted time, Ubers, and being uncomfortable.
  by pumpers

What the heck was going on here?
https://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/20 ... o_pun.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where did the metal pole come from that punctured an NJ Transit train?
It happened in the tunnel. That would unnerve a few people, including me! Yikes.
JS
Sort of reminds me of those cheezy black and white Japanese monster movie reruns I watched as a kid on Channel 9, almost 50 years ago. Godzilla (or the other monsters whose names I forget) picking up a train and throwing it, or in this case, spearing a car with telephone poles and stuff like that ...
EDIT: at the Amtrak link in the first post, it sound like it may have been a piece of the pantograph.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=106488&p=1485414#p1485414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Sunday about 5PM both tunnels were again closed. After boarding we sat at platform close to an hour; conductor announced that both tunnels would be temporarily out of service.
  by pumpers

Return to Reading Company Olney Sta wrote:Sunday about 5PM both tunnels were again closed. After boarding we sat at platform close to an hour; conductor announced that both tunnels would be temporarily out of service.
As I recall Godzilla swam pretty well underwater, so maybe he was up to something outside the tunnels again, if not inside them...
  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

pumpers wrote:
Return to Reading Company Olney Sta wrote:Sunday about 5PM both tunnels were again closed. After boarding we sat at platform close to an hour; conductor announced that both tunnels would be temporarily out of service.
As I recall Godzilla swam pretty well underwater, so maybe he was up to something outside the tunnels again, if not inside them...
It has been a few years since I saw the mid 90's version of the movie but IIRC Godzilla did enter MSG - and think that may have been the nest for its eggs. Did not see signs of the giant lizard Sunday though!
  by Head-end View

And lets not forget "Rodan", the flying monster born in a coal mine in Japan. :wink:
  by n2cbo

pumpers wrote:What the heck was going on here?
https://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/20 ... o_pun.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where did the metal pole come from that punctured an NJ Transit train?
It happened in the tunnel. That would unnerve a few people, including me! Yikes.
JS
Sort of reminds me of those cheezy black and white Japanese monster movie reruns I watched as a kid on Channel 9, almost 50 years ago. Godzilla (or the other monsters whose names I forget) picking up a train and throwing it, or in this case, spearing a car with telephone poles and stuff like that ...
EDIT: at the Amtrak link in the first post, it sound like it may have been a piece of the pantograph.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=106488&p=1485414#p1485414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OMG, I remember those movies... I loved it when either the film would break or jam in the telecine.....