Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by orangeline

This morning I took the Orange Line train from Midway station (~ 6:20 AM)to downtown. Everything was fine until we pulled out of the 35/Archer station. Acceleration out of the station (as well as out of Ashland and Halsted) was very slow and our speed between stations was much less than I recall and certainly less than that from earlier stations. Once we left Roosevelt everything appeared to be back to normal. Does anyone know why my train (and I assume all Loop-bound trains) was operating so slowly? I doidn't notice any track work going on or speed restriction signs.

by EricL

There was a train ahead of you which was momentarily running behind? [/obvious]

Sometimes the ATC doesn't work quite right either, and will display a red or restrictive speed for no apparently good reason.

by orangeline

EricL,

It wasn't a train ahead of us. When I got to Midway station the electronic sign said the train would leave in 5 minutes. Besides that, large crowds of people got on at Pulaski, Kedzie, Western, and 35/Archer. I'll go with your 2nd explanation.

by JamesT4

EricL wrote: Sometimes the ATC doesn't work quite right either, and will display a red or restrictive speed for no apparently good reason.
The ACT always act up on all of the CTA lines. I be up near the cab and see that the cab signal go as green for full speed than minunets later the cab signal will turn red to stop the train for no reason, even if the signals are green outside on the line.