• Pan Am Southern / Patriot Corridor Discussion

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

I would think not, considering most of the track would be 30/40 on most other railroads. They are just risk averse of higher speeds on their own rails, always have been.
  by KSmitty

3 or 4 slow orders on the single track and #1 main, a pair of 1 mile restrictions, and something around the tunnel.
A couple more slow orders on the #2 tracks, but pretty minor.

Of course, this was all 40mph running in 2009 after the rebuild and is now 25 or 30 TT...
  by BostonUrbEx

I'm guessing this might be a part of 286k upgrades. Anyone know how much other work is left to finish up 286k work on PAS?
  by johnpbarlow

From the Pan Am Railfans Facebook page: Apparently EDPO derailed due to washout at Erving west of Farley Rd at around 3AM Saturday 8/4/18: 6 cars off the track with four on their sides. MEC 616 leading. Apparently there's some concern about a leak from a tank car loaded with acid?
  by Lincoln78

Right around 1:10 in the video. What word is she using? "Hydroconic Acid"?

Must not have been a big fan of high school chemistry. Glad noting spilled and the crews are undamaged.
  by Backshophoss

Print article "self corrected" to Hydrocloric Acid.Placard should have the UN# 1789.
  by ShortlinesUSA

"Officials are saying they believe heavy, wet rain from Friday was the cause of the incident."

As opposed to dry rain...?
  by gokeefe

High humidity with ground saturating moisture that weakens soil ...
  by GU1001

Took a drive by the derailment area on my way back home today.
There were a lot of trucks marked “NRC” parked around the Farley Rd crossing.
Didn’t see anyone in the immediate area, but with all the equipment around it was a sizable response.
There were maybe 5 or so freight cars on the south track east of the crossing.
Continued on to Millers Falls where a couple blue dip Gp40s and what I assume to be the hydrocloric acid tanker were parked off the main on the CV interchange. There was a lot of heavy equipment there too.
The tanker had bent ladders and handrails. Some foliage hanging off. From a distance it didn’t seem too badly damaged. Gotta wonder if its there to be offloaded?

Saw 23K parked on 1 in Gardner. 28N was parked under the 112 bridge in Buckland. A little backed up on the west end? Maybe Monday will have some good action?!
  by johnhenry

A west bound was parked at Tyters Sunday afternoon also.
By radio around 2:30pm, 23K at Gardner was considering heading west with only one engine working.
  by B&M 1227

hearing rumors of the ns office car train heading to ayer this friday... stay tuned!