• Northeast Regional Sets

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Milepost 110

How many Northeast Regional sets are required for service, both on weekends and weekdays? I'm particularly interested in operations north of NYP.

I'm new to this site, so I apologize if this is posted somewhere else on this site. I tried to look for it but couldn't find it.

Thank you!
  by bratkinson

While I don't have any numbers, I think the number of trainsets required could be determined from the timetables.

Using the Acelas' as an example, make up a horizontal bar chart showing the hours of the day across the top and each Acela vertically. Simply draw in the origination time (writing in city) and termination time as a solid bar. Find the hour(s) where there are the most number of Acelas 'on the move' and you have your count. Using, say, a 2-hour turnaround time, one could easily determine which trainset gets turned where, etc.

Remember, too, that there are NEC trains that originate or terminate outside the NEC such as the Vermonter, so those would have to be counted 'separately', ie, 2 sets as they each make a single run each day.