• Current equipment on the Cascades?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by train2

What is the current equipment operating on the Cascades? I will be visiting in a couple of weeks. I was wondering is any F40 cab cars operate here, any F59s or is it all P42s now?

What percentage of trains have those somewhat challenged looking cab cars? Is there a scheme to which end the cab cars are on?

On this route does anything operate with conventional cars are is the all Talgos?
  by NorthWest

The trains are in a bit of a state of transition right now. On most trains the cab car faces south and the locomotive north, but some trains are currently operating with locomotives on both ends as the Siemens SC-44s are being tested. About half of trains have them and about half have F59s. P42s are now rare but 144 has been on one set this week. There are a total of two of the new ugly sets, but the Jefferson set was wrecked. It has now returned, but I have not seen it, though it may be back in service on the north end (Seattle-Vancouver, BC). They were running a Superliner set on the north end while the set was out of service but I'm not sure of what's running there now. Otherwise, it is all Talgos.
  by benboston

Which of these sets have tilting capabilities?
  by Backshophoss

If and when the FRA grants that waiver to Amtrak,the 2 Wi Talgo sets will head west and join the other sets used in the Cascades service,
one replaces the wrecked set (Train 501 wreck),the other becomes the fleet spare/floater set.
  by benboston

Is there a difference in schedule timing when they are or aren't using the talgos.
  by NorthWest

Usually the non-Talgo set is confined to the north end Seattle-Vancouver round trip which has a captive set. The schedule is designed for this, so no reworking is needed.