• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Jonathan603

MECFAN wrote:Meanwhile up on the Boise spur are 3 Boise cars and 1 Tyco are car shoved up almost to the unloading dock, been there a couple of days.
Where is the Boise spur?
  by artman

Pretty tight up to the south side of the High Level Bridge. Can see from the entrance ramp of Exit 7
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by ereuter

I think the best view is from Kearsarge Way on the bridge. You can't see the dock, but you can watch them switching and shoving up the hill.
  by MECFAN

Curious if DO-1 came in today and if Barberry lane crossing is open now, friend saw them at Rockinghan at noontime. Also if they fixed the Boise spur yet, inquiring minds want to know.
  by ereuter

There was a reefer and several LPG tanks on the new main (#1). Looked like the reefer was a stretcher, and the power had been cut off. Probably about 3:00 when I went by. I didn't have time to investigate. Maybe they went up to Newington light?
  by MECFAN

The reefer may have come from Highliner as they put one in there late last week.
  by central.vermont

Caught them at the Rt33 crossing going out at about 1600. Run down of train as follows: 2 centerbeams 1 reefer 1 centerbeam 2 box 2 covered hoppers 1 reefer and 8 tanks.
That would be a total of 17 cars. Biggest out bound I have seen in some time.

Jon
  by Jonathan603

By chance I saw it arriving at Rockingham Junction. Big train. It didn’t hang around long as it was gone a few hours later when I returned.
  by ereuter

I've been working on a display at the Kittery Historical and Naval Museum on the wreck of 3666 in 1939, based on the axle that was pulled from the river last May. Article in the Herald today:
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/2018 ... ery-museum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by woodeen

Nicely done, and nice article
  by artman

According to the NHDOT Facebook page, "Pan Am Railways sent its first train, a locomotive, over the new Sarah Long Bridge today at about 10:30 am. The deck of the bridge, which has embedded rail, was lowered to the rail line to allow the passage."

Pictures on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NHDOT/?hc_ref= ... 7U&fref=nf
  by NHV 669

Reading further postings, it is interesting to note they plan on raising/lowering the bridge ("15 minutes before/after the hour") from 7am-7pm daily.
  by artman

That is standard operating procedure for this time of year. It pertains to boats that request an opening.

Given the new bridge is so much higher, it won't be opening more than a few times a day
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat May 19, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by NHV 669

Right. Noting that, it seems like they're just being rather formal about it. The higher deck is certainly a big boost for all involved.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat May 19, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting