• Improved old maps

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Richard M. Utter

26 improved (at least I think they're improved) Pennsylvania maps are now available at ftp://67.51.174.143/OldUSGS/Pennsylvania/Adjusted/JPG/ . These were all tuned up to improve brightness, contrast, and sharpness. For whatever reason, most of them cover parts of southeastern Pennsylvania. So if it turns out that I didn't fix up the one you really wanted, let me know.

by Richard M. Utter

All 233 Pennsylvania maps have been recreated. The few "adjusted" maps mentioned in my previous note are no longer available, because the new ones are far better in terms of brightness, contrast, sharpness, and uniformity of appearance.

A 300 kilobyte sample of the product can be seen at ftp://67.51.174.143/OldUSGS/NewPennsylvaniaSample.jpg . This shows the junction of four maps.

by Richard M. Utter

My ISP fouled up early yesterday, making both my web site and FTP site inaccessible. The web site can now be reached at http://www.garbuttny.us .

by Richard M. Utter

The 235 Pennsylvania maps at www.garbuttny.us have been upgraded. Unclipped maps (that is, the margins have NOT been removed) are now available. The maps' colors now match a little better, too.

by phltransit

Great site, Mr. Utter !!!

A fantastic source of information that you have made exceptionally easy to access.

One question if you don't mind - are all of the maps of the same vintage?

Chuck.

by Richard M. Utter

Thanks for the kind words.

The Pennsylvania maps were originally published anywhere from 1891 to 1948. Each map's file name contains the publication date of the first edition of the map. For example, if you position your mouse cursor over "Philadelphia" in the Pennsylvania grid, you'll see a line ending with "Philadelphia1898.jpg" in your browser's status bar.

After you look at enough of these maps, you can roughly estimate when one was originally pubished by checking a few details. For instance, most of them started out as engraved plates, in the same fashion as banknotes. Water features, like rivers and lakes, are made up of parallel blue lines. But engraving isn't cost-efficient, so after 1940, engraved maps were out, and water features are solid blue. If you see the words "War Department" printed at the top of a map, you can be sure it was produced during World War One or Two. Highway route numbers are another tipoff. At first, there aren't any. Then, in the 1920s, there are a few--so few that the state roads are labeled with something like "Pa. Route No. 123". It isn't until the 1930s that numbered highway route shields replace the text. And while road names are few and far between, railroads are carefully labeled. Even branches are named. I suspect that where lines and yards indicate multiple tracks, even the number of tracks is correct.