• "We're Not Gonna Tell You Anymore"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Nasadowsk

Suburban Station wrote:Amtrak is not a government agency.
Good.

Then they don't need a taxpayer subsidy either.

Right?
  by prr60

Tadman wrote:A few things to consider:

1. Amtrak is not an open-and-shut case of being a gov't agency. We've gone into this before and don't need to here. As such, it's not an open-and-shut case of whether it is subject to FOIA.
2. The costs of meeting FOIA are probably immense, so it's not surprising they are trying to close that door.
3. Someone makes mention of high executive salaries. I believe Messrs. Moorman and Anderson are $1/year. That doesn't mean the vice-presidential level is the same, but worth thinking about this.
While one can argue whether Amtrak is or is not a government agency or entity, the fact that Amtrak is subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act is, in fact, an "open and shut case." As set forth by 49 U.S. Code § 24301 (e) (Rail Passenger Service Act), Amtrak is subject to the requirements of FOIA in any year in which a federal subsidy is provided. That is specifically written into the Amtrak law, and if Amtrak wants out from under that burden, they will have to convince Congress and the President to take that requirement out of the law.
  by Dick H

Regarding Amtrak getting a subsidy, hundreds and probably thousands of
non-government companies get government subsidies. Eve the oil industry
get subsidies from Uncle Sam, (You and Me).
  by Suburban Station

Dick H wrote:Regarding Amtrak getting a subsidy, hundreds and probably thousands of
non-government companies get government subsidies. Eve the oil industry
get subsidies from Uncle Sam, (You and Me).
Exactly. Government agencies are far from the only entities receiving subsidies
  by electricron

Suburban Station wrote: Exactly. Government agencies are far from the only entities receiving subsidies
True, but these entities must file public financial statements over earnings, etc. to their shareholders if shares are publicly traded on a stock market.
Few entities not sharing financial statements, if any at all, receive government subsidies.