• Florence, CO area - abandoned spur/branch

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by BlockLine_4111

Noticed an abandoned spur or branch line with crossbucks at crossing(s) in a semi-rural residental, ranching area. Track is still in place but crossing(s) are paved over. What line was this and why was it abandoned? Any history or info appreciated.

by UPRR engineer

Alot of questions there buddy boy, wish i could help you out. If some was asking those types of questions about where i work id be able to give them all the answers.

On one of your questions about the crossings being paved over? is it over the top of the rails? or just paved insted of being "planked" with timbers? UP is pretty good at ripping up track that is no longer used.

Did you say also somewhere about the rails being rusty? doesnt take much more than a few minutes of rain, and a day of not being used for the tops of the rails to turn. That doesnt mean they wont be shoving the branch the next day. Hope that helps some.

How do you come about getting these questions? Ripping around on your dirt bike looking for some RR tracks? Maybe ill pull out my old old UP system time table out one of these days and see if i cant put a name on some of these places you describe k dude.

by BlockLine_4111

UPRR engineer wrote: On one of your questions about the crossings being paved over? is it over the top of the rails? or just paved insted of being "planked" with timbers?
Looks like the rails across the street are buried w/dirt, stone and asphalt.
UPRR engineer wrote: Did you say also somewhere about the rails being rusty? doesnt take much more than a few minutes of rain, and a day of not being used for the tops of the rails to turn. That doesnt mean they wont be shoving the branch the next day. Hope that helps some.
Looks like a once mightly mainline has become a weedy spur or branch. Looks like a railroad through a ghost town.