Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
  by shlustig

Located on the Monongah Division between Grafton and Parkersburg, 60 miles west of Grafton. Single-track with TCS rules.

At about 6:30AM Train #31 ("National Limited") with 4 units (F7, 2GP-9's, E8) and 5 cars [1 bag, 1 combine, 2 coaches, 1 Pullman-Obs) at 43 mph on a 6@-curve just before a bridge over the North Fork of the Hughes River.

Outside rail on the curve overturned and entire consist derailed. Engines and head 2 cars remained upright and inline, 2 coaches overturned, rear car went down a 35' embankment and into the river. 4 fatalities and 50 reported injuries.

Speed limit on the curve was 45 mph. FRA Report faulted the B&O for failure to maintain the track for the speed limit.
  by hutton_switch

One of the volumes in the Morning Sun Books all-color photo series books by Bob Withers contains photos taken by him of this accident.
  by D Alex

I know that by 1967, passenger rail was seriously degraded, but I'm a little surprised at the rather motley collection of locomotives that B&O used. I thought that at least they tried to keep appearances up.