Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by newkirk

Last night I heard the sounds of diesel horns of a slowly moving train. Went to the window and saw two MP-15's with TWO M-1 or M-3 cars acting as the De-Icer cars. Usually there was one ex-M-1 car sandwiched between two MP-15's. But to my surprise, I saw two cars. I couldn't see the numbers but something tells me these two cars are former M-3's. Am I correct ?
  by Bad Luck

You would be correct. The longhorn conversion completed last year is designed to be operated as a pair but have the ability to be separated if need be. E775 & E932 are the numbers.
  by newkirk

Bad Luck wrote: You would be correct. The longhorn conversion completed last year is designed to be operated as a pair but have the ability to be separated if need be. E775 & E932 are the numbers.
Thank you for your response.

So this new pair supplements or replaces the two M-1 De-Icer/Sandite cars ?
  by Backshophoss

The M-1's that were deicer/sandite cars have been sent to the scrapper in Ohio.
  by Bad Luck

My pleasure. These supplement the two M1 conversions as well as the temporary M7 restroom retrofits that also get used.
Backshophoss wrote:The M-1's that were deicer/sandite cars have been sent to the scrapper in Ohio.
The two M cars sent out to Frontier were M3s, not the alcohol/sandite M1s.
  by SwingMan

The E401 and E591 have not been scrapped and are being used as we speak. The new cars are in addition to those cars.
  by newkirk

Bad Luck wrote: E775 & E932 are the numbers.
\

So their former numbers were 9775 & 9932 ?
  by nyandw

newkirk wrote:
Bad Luck wrote: E775 & E932 are the numbers.
\
So their former numbers were 9775 & 9932 ?

Any photos of these cars?
  by ConstanceR46

Any photos of the M7s, specifically the insides? If i'm reading right they literally rigged the toilets to spew sand
  by BuddR32

Bad Luck wrote:You would be correct. The longhorn conversion completed last year is designed to be operated as a pair but have the ability to be separated if need be. E775 & E932 are the numbers.
The E775 is the alcohol car, it carries the related equipment, the 9932 was converted into a crew car so they dont have to ride in the same car as the equipment like with the M1 conversions. E932 gets its power for the lights and heat from the generator in the E775
  by Bad Luck

Correctamundo
  by PlaneLoverA380

ConstanceR46 wrote:Any photos of the M7s, specifically the insides? If i'm reading right they literally rigged the toilets to spew sand
I never heard squat about an M7? What are you talking about?
  by ConstanceR46

PlaneLoverA380 wrote: I never heard squat about an M7? What are you talking about?
Meanwhile, a couple posts up...
temporary M7 restroom retrofits
  by PlaneLoverA380

But is there any detailed information on it? I googled it. No luck.