• Turboliners Move

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by liftedjeep

*I couldn't find an existing Amtrak Turboliner thread, so if there is indeed one and a moderator feels the need to combine this topic, please do so.

Anyway, it was brought to my attention that the Amtrak Turboliners that have been stored at the car shops in Bear, DE since the early 2000's are going to be moved to Amtrak's Adams Yard in North Brunswick, NJ between Wednesday (1/3) and Thursday night to be stored there.

I haven't been able to find a reason why this move is supposed to take place nor can I 100% confirm it's validity. I was made aware of the move by two separate individuals, so I'm bringing it to RR.net to have some of our Amtrak experts chime in.

Any help would most definitely be appreciated!
Ben
  by DutchRailnut

getting them closer to Naporano ??
  by Matt Johnson

I don't know the reason but apparently it's true.
  by liftedjeep

I spoke with a buddy of mine who is a former Amtrak employee. He apparently knows someone who works in Bear, and it was said that besides the fact that the car shops in Bear are running out of extra space, the Turboliners are being sent to Adams Yard for police training purposes.
A move is scheduled for tonight (1/3), and another in a few days.
Ben
  by Greg Moore

Police training.. HOLY COW.. we may have actually found a use for the Turboliners!

And a valid reason for a thread on them. For now.
  by Matt Johnson

So a train can sit for 13 years and still be rail worthy? I know it's a low speed tow, but I guess the trucks, wheels, bearings, etc. are still good unless they had to be replaced for the move.
  by dowlingm

Greg Moore wrote:Police training.. HOLY COW.. we may have actually found a use for the Turboliners!

And a valid reason for a thread on them. For now.
Any railfan police officers now trying to figure out a way to get to shoot them full of holes? :-D
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Matt Johnson wrote:So a train can sit for 13 years and still be rail worthy? I know it's a low speed tow, but I guess the trucks, wheels, bearings, etc. are still good unless they had to be replaced for the move.
Worst-case a piece of rusted equipment that hasn't moved in eons can be switched onto shop trucks to stage a slow-speed tow move. Not good enough for moving cross-country or anything super long-distance, but routinely done for clearing out yard dead lines or clearing derelict crap off a storage siding.
  by amtrakhogger

After police training, the will used in work train service!
  by Matt Johnson

Well, that's better than the scrapper at least. Hopefully they'll keep 'em off the Empire Corridor to avoid having New Yorkers look out from their Amfleet windows at those fancy bullet trains they paid for being used for work train service!
  by amtrakhogger

just joking1
  by Matt Johnson

Hey, it was believable enough. For a while (and maybe still) you would see the former Adirondack Heritage coaches being used in work duty.
  by OrangeGrove

What will the "police training" involve for the Turboliner trainsets? Will this entail damage or destruction to the car(s), or are they just available vehicles which closely enough resemble in-service intercity and commuter passenger equipment? I don't seriously expect them to see service again regardless, though I'd agree one or more to a museum would be appropriate.
  by David Benton

I don't know about this case, but in NZ , a train carriage was used for airplane emergency practice . So they are not necessarily practicing soley for a train emergency, but any event in a transport body.
  by liftedjeep

KP crew doubling up the Turboliner sets at Bear at 19:00. 30mph restriction on the NEC with them.
Ben