• Philly PTC Trolley Loops

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

by phillyrube

Going back, I remember the turnarounds at Carpenter and Wayne Ave (there are still tracks seen), Ogontz Ave, Mermaid Lane, and Willow Grove Park. Something that sticks in my mind are the floodlights they used at night. Large metal reflector with 4 bulbs in it. Anyone seen anything like that? I'm a fan of the old streetlights and porcelain lamp reflectors, green, red, white, the rare blue. My parents fist apartment was at Carpenter and Greene, and I remember walking up there. Used to be a horse stable on Carpenter. I had to be about 4 or so, then the parents made the escape to Hatboro.

The old Rt 6 ran down Limekiln Pike and made a right turn where Cheltenham High School now sits. Anyone remember the warning lights when the trolley crossed the northbound lanes. 4 flashing blue lights comes to mind.
  by ohioriverrailway

It would be 5 bulbs......600 volts/5=120 volts...or a standard bulb.
  by phillyrube

So the bulbs would be wired in series. with power from the trolley overhead?
  by JimBoylan

phillyrube wrote:So the bulbs would be wired in series. with power from the trolley overhead?
You got it, but they would be special Street Railway bulbs.
  by phillyrube

Found a guy who has two for sale on ebay. A bit pricey. Has good photos showing the series wiring, converted to parallel:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-MULTI-CO ... 3238576377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Came out of 69th Street.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by JimBoylan

I've the blueprints for almost all of the PTC trolley loops. Can someone help me scan them for posting here?