• Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jonnhrr

"Guaranteed Rate Field" - given how the White Sox played this year it probably got nicknamed "guaranteed loss field" :)

I have no problem with the renaming as long as they just add it and still have 30th St. in the name, and only change the signs gradually rather than spending a lot of money they don't have.

Jon
  by ExCon90

Philadelphia currently enjoys a number of Transportation Centers that used to be "stations" and "terminals." I guess this means that "everything's up-to-date in Philadelphia"? What was wrong with 69th St. Terminal? It's still "69th St." to people around here.
  by Jenny on a M2

LOL I was driving up towards the Battery Tunnel a couple days ago and one of the ITS signs said something like "HLC TUN - 12 MIN". First thing that popped into my head was "HLC??"; Then I remembered the renaming of the Battery Tunnel.

But Mr. Ridgefielder et al. are correct; to locals the Battery Tunnel is still the Battery Tunnel, the Triboro is still the Triboro, and the 59th St. Bridge is still the 59th. St. Bridge. IIRC Ed Koch himself was against the renaming of the 59th St. Bridge after him because he thought it was silly.

Oh yeah, and because my grandmother was the one who taught me how to ride the subway the A/C/E will always be the IND 8th Av Line and the 4/5/6 the IRT Lex. The plus side of this is that I can tell who's a railfan and who's not when I accidentally give directions using these archaic names. :wink:

Back on topic...completely pointless to rename 30th St. I wish our politicians had a better respect for history (and my tax dollar).
  by R36 Combine Coach

Tadman wrote:Pop quiz: You have a bus station, a train station, and a food court. What is it called? Evidently a transportation center, despite the fact it's really just a station. Maybe a terminal. Could be a Union Station given multiple carriers or modes. But a "transportation center" is just 80's MBA-speak because at that time, Union Stations were ratty old places. mmmkay.... that's long past.
Or be like St. Louis and use the name of "intermodal terminal", the NJT station at Hamilton when opened in early 1999 originally had been intended as a "intermodal station". SEPTA liberally uses the name "transit center" and even NJT jumped on board with the Trenton Transit Center and Pennsauken.
  by NealG

Tadman wrote:(nothing against the member NealG, just highlighting something that is silly)

Point taken and agreed to as well. No offense taken whatsoever -I knew exactly where you were coming from.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Jenny on a M2 wrote:LOL I was driving up towards the Battery Tunnel a couple days ago and one of the ITS signs said something like "HLC TUN - 12 MIN". First thing that popped into my head was "HLC??"; Then I remembered the renaming of the Battery Tunnel.

But Mr. Ridgefielder et al. are correct; to locals the Battery Tunnel is still the Battery Tunnel, the Triboro is still the Triboro, and the 59th St. Bridge is still the 59th. St. Bridge. IIRC Ed Koch himself was against the renaming of the 59th St. Bridge after him because he thought it was silly.

Oh yeah, and because my grandmother was the one who taught me how to ride the subway the A/C/E will always be the IND 8th Av Line and the 4/5/6 the IRT Lex. The plus side of this is that I can tell who's a railfan and who's not when I accidentally give directions using these archaic names. :wink:
Let's not give 'em ideas, but what has held them back from naming the Queens Midtown Tunnel?

Mr. Jenny, my Sister's three kids; all in their 40's and college graduates, which I guess makes them Gen X, live or have lived in Brooklyn. Mention to them those archaic terms IRT, BMT, and IND and that is "good for a huh".
  by BandA

In Boston, the MBTA allowed the developer to call their new Commuter Rail station Boston Landing instead of Brighton. But the developer paid for the station (and picked the location). Years ago they renamed the Mystic River Bridge the (Maurice) Tobin Bridge, and the Cottage Farm Bridge became the Boston University Bridge.
  by Backshophoss

No Matter what the name becomes,figure on the "historical" name 30th Street Station to live on! :-)
Most people refer to what LIRR calls "Atlantic Terminal" as Flatbush Ave station. :wink:
  by Jenny on a M2

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Jenny on a M2 wrote:LOL I was driving up towards the Battery Tunnel a couple days ago and one of the ITS signs said something like "HLC TUN - 12 MIN". First thing that popped into my head was "HLC??"; Then I remembered the renaming of the Battery Tunnel.

Let's not give 'em ideas, but what has held them back from naming the Queens Midtown Tunnel?

Mr. Jenny, my Sister's three kids; all in their 40's and college graduates, which I guess makes them Gen X, live or have lived in Brooklyn. Mention to them those archaic terms IRT, BMT, and IND and that is "good for a huh".
Possibly the ghosts of my grandfather and the other sandhogs who built the tunnel? I feel like these renamings to glorify politicians not involved with the construction of these facilities is a hauntable offense.

Mr. Norman, I was born at the Gen X/Millenial divide and I have friends in my age cohort who know those archaic names as well; it's really a function of whether you were taught them by your grandparents or not. It's too bad your sister's kids didn't listen to their railfan uncle more. :wink:

Oh, and I'm actually a lady so it's Ms. Jenny to you. :-D
  by Suburban Station

where is senator casey on expanding Amtrak state supported services in Pennsylvania to places like Reading or Pittsburgh?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is the ultimate self-deification - a Mayor-for-Life around these parts renaming a convention center for himself (oh of course, rubber stamped by the council):
The O'Hare Exposition Center opened in 1975. It has been renovated and expanded multiple times, and was renamed in 2000 for Mayor Donald Stephens
I had the dubious pleasure of visiting that facility for Continuing Ed. Parking was "hardly on the cheap" and you were not allowed to bring any food or drink in there (purchase on site? of course!!!).

So here's more on the Village of Rosemont and, of course, it's Boy Scout formation:

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/201 ... 160619106/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Daddy, what's nepotism?"
  by Kilo Echo

Backshophoss wrote:Most people refer to what LIRR calls "Atlantic Terminal" as Flatbush Ave station. :wink:
For those of us who remember the filthy, fetid Flatbush Av Station before it was rehabilitated, the renaming is understandable. That said, I still refer to the present-day R train as "the Fourth Avenue local."
  by Ridgefielder

Jenny on a M2 wrote:Mr. Norman, I was born at the Gen X/Millenial divide and I have friends in my age cohort who know those archaic names as well; it's really a function of whether you were taught them by your grandparents or not. It's too bad your sister's kids didn't listen to their railfan uncle more. :wink:

Oh, and I'm actually a lady so it's Ms. Jenny to you. :-D
I'm going to second that, as someone solidly in the Gen X camp married to a Millennial. Plenty of people know/use the old names, especially if they're native NY'ers. It seems to me that the IRT in particular has a strong ghost presence, maybe because people realize the difference between the number and letter lines, or maybe because there are still several stations with "Interborough Rapid Transit" signage intact.

Worth noting that the old names aren't completely dead from an official standpoint. Even the R142s & 143s carry signs reading "Eastern Parkway Express," "6th Ave - Culver Local," and the like.
  by liftedjeep

Looks like it's a done deal now, and the name change will at some point, take place. Per an announcement made this afternoon (10/6) by Sen. Bob Casey.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/amtrak-final ... t-station/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben
  by ExCon90

"We look forward to working with stakeholders . . ." --and Casey's statement offered no dates. That gives them room to string it out until interest wanes and people forget about it--we may hope. "Working with" can take a long time.