• Hurricane Irma Updates

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by dowlingm

ccutler wrote:Miami has plenty of commuter trains, which could have kept running north to Georgia with loads of evacuees.
Among other reason for not doing so, Irma's track was towards Georgia at uncertain intensity. Air evacuation at least got people well clear of the storm area.
  by nova08

As of Monday night there were 2-3 Silver Service train sets laying over in Race St. Coach yard.
  by Noel Weaver

It looks like the Florida East Coast is returning to at least limited operation today (Wednesday), 101 is running though from Bowden Yard, Jacksonville south. I think there is an extra as well as 107 too.
Noel Weaver
  by Noel Weaver

First southbound train was 101 Wednesday and it took well over 24 hours and three crews to complete the trip. I believe they had a police vehicle with RR police officers protecting each crossing. I think most of the signal system was out aouth of Saybrook which is not far south of St. Augustine. They had a monster train too.
Tri-Rail resumes Saturday, September 16th with a regular weekend schedule, all Tri-Rail rides are free all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Haven't checked Amtrak as yet.
Noel Weaver

Later Friday evening according to Amtrak web site trains 98 and 97 remain cancelled but the Auto Train 52 and 53 will resume Sunday and Monday. Recovery is slow but it is in the works.
NW
  by STrRedWolf

Per Amtrak's site:
  • Auto Train 53/54: Service resumes southbound Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL on Sept 17th (Sunday); trainset returns with northbound service that Monday (Sept 18th).
  • Silver Star 91/92: NYC to Jacksonville, FL w/extra stop in Jesup, GA. No stops south of Jacksonville, no alternate service.
  • Silver Meteor 97/98: Still cancelled.
  by east point

Now we have Maria hopefully east of Florida but if you live there gas up your cars and other gas guzzling equipment.
  by SST

A family member who owns a home in Fort Myers area near the airport called me last week and asked me to drive down and check on his home. The route we took, I-10 to 301S to I-75, there wasn't much damage [random trees or branches] in the immediate areas we drove through. The RR that runs along 301....cleared and signals working. Only spotted one train moving through the area. This was on Friday the 15th so several days to get it cleaned up.

Some gas stations were open and some were closed. Didn't have a problem getting down.

I walked the bike path that runs along the Seminole Gulf Railway. There was lots of downed trees and branches that had been cleared from both. The town and the RR must have cleared the trees immediately.

The tracks north of Daniels really need to be taken care of. The sway those jointed rails must cause....but on the south side of Daniels are many bundles of new RR ties so hopefully the row will see some improvements.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Looks like Amtrak has normal East Coast service SB effective today; NB tomorrow:

https://m.amtrak.com/mt/www.amtrak.com/ ... 1656597699" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mod note: Post modified given the catastrophic destruction of Puerto Rico by Hurricane Maria.
  by John_Perkowski

This topic is retired, locked, to the General Discussion, Passenger Forum.