• New Adirondack Scenic Thread (ADIX)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by The Man

Tell ya what Tree, 100 million and the Adirondack has it!
  by lvrr325

I'm not sure why so many stick up for them; even from an outsider's viewpoint they have a long history of decisions that are very questionable at best, things that have rubbed many people the wrong way over the years. That's part of why they got thrown out of part of the railroad.

It is interesting that they can afford to buy more expensive things all of a sudden when they still have bills outstanding.

As for the RS3, they can't use it, they can't buy it, they have a replacement for it, so why don't they let it leave the property? Why spend time and money endlessly fighting except just to be vindictive?
  by Noel Weaver

The Man wrote:We really wanted the two running together and I feel the person we delt with did as well. All we asked was to sit down and iron it out and come to a compromise but the reply from the railroad did not have room for negotiation and we really hated to see that since we have always wanted to see back to back NYC RS-3's on the Adirondack. The story on both sides has a lot more to it than everyone knows and I'm sure nobody is clean in the deal but we didn't ask for much. Only what was owed to us. The Adirondack has already cost us two of our former locomotives and this one is the one we refuse to give up on. They tried to get us to sell it and we have said no way for a long time and stand firm in that position. At this point they don't want to work with us so we are forced to take another route. We have been approached by the trail advocates to get a larger platform to get the railroad a bad wrap and we refused to damage the corridor. I have said this before and I'll say it once again, keep the line but dump ARPS! They are doing more harm than good. I remember a time when it was about the railroad and now it's about egos and self interest.
I really wish the differences could be aired elsewhere or nowhere. I want to read about the railroad in the Adirondacks and not about people's egos and personalities. Reasonable differences of opinion sure but the back stabbing and squabbling that are taking place here. I lover railroads, have all of my life, had a great 41 year career and still have a very high interest. Having said that, I don't care whether they run Alcos's, GE's, EMD's or what they run. I would say that probaably 95 per cent of the passengers riding the Adirondack Scenic are not railfans and they have little or no ionterest in old New York Central RS-3's, good engines for sure but probably worn out and definitely obsolete today. The RS-18's are newer, probably in good shape and have more modern appliances. Railroading is no joke, to have a train load of passengers break down because of an obsolete locomotive or locomotives on the head end because it would be nice or look nice makes less than no sense. I rode behind an old RS-3 on the Adirondack Railroad back in 1980 on this line and believe me knowing Alco's like I do, I was a little concerned about the possibility of real problems. Fortunately the trip went without any major problems. Ru the NYC engines on a short trip for rail fans but not on a trip of a lot of miles through total wilderness with people who want a train ride and don't care what is pulling them as long as they get where they want to go in a reasonable amount of time. This line is genuine treasure and probably the best tourist type train ride east of the Mississippi, please work together and cooperate to keep it running and not try to destroy it or each other in the process. There is probably enough blame to go around but you can NOT have all chiefs and no indians.
Noel Weaver
  by The Man

I appreciate your position only to an extent Noel, I feel that people should be warned about how Adirondack does things. Let's face it, they are in NO WAY well run and the comments on this site only go to prove that. I agree that it's a wonderful piece of railroad that needs to be preserved and run. I do not agree on the power issue as a locomotive is only as good as the railroad and the employees. You could have a SD-70ace that has been poorly maintained VS a well maintained Baldwin and it will complete it's tasks before the flying squad even gets to the broke down 70. In this particular case, many people are donating and volunteering for an operation that has deceived not only them but the public as well. Yes I'm a squeaky wheel but I would rather say something rather than let others get duped by these clowns. After all, would you rent something and be ok with not getting paid, treated poorly, sent nasty emails while going through a life threatening disease? Yes, that's right! While I was doing chemotherapy one of the directors actually sent me demanding emails to sell the engine that almost got him arrested! That's the kind of folks they are. I was so bothered by his actions I don't even want him to touch the engine ever again. I'm fighting for my life and he seemed to think I was remotely worried about the prospect of him running and or them owning a locomotive? Not one bit! So yes Noel, I am warning anyone I can about the Adirondack Railway Preservation Society and how they act. Not only do they have absolutely no respect for anyone or anything but they want the public, it's volunteers and employees to think that we did it all. Well Noel I'm sure you might be happy to forfeit your profits but I'm not so I'll make you a deal, you send me the payments and I'll keep my mouth shut for you. I really don't care who pays me so long as I get paid. I have a contract that will deal with that in the end.
  by tree68

ASRR is a far different operation than it was a few years ago when it was neck deep in debt due to the poor management that knew how to spend, but not how to bring in business.

Now it's being run as a business, and there are people who will chafe under such conditions. Especially those who saw the railroad as their personal playground.

That's not to say all is perfect, or that there aren't individuals who may act as individuals - that's hard to control in any organization.

It would be nice to have the two RS3's running, and even running together. The former owner of 8255 saw that and facilitated it happening. I have no idea what the disagreements are about 8223. Things went well for years. Something has clearly changed.
  by Noel Weaver

The Man wrote:I appreciate your position only to an extent Noel, I feel that people should be warned about how Adirondack does things. Let's face it, they are in NO WAY well run and the comments on this site only go to prove that. I agree that it's a wonderful piece of railroad that needs to be preserved and run. I do not agree on the power issue as a locomotive is only as good as the railroad and the employees. You could have a SD-70ace that has been poorly maintained VS a well maintained Baldwin and it will complete it's tasks before the flying squad even gets to the broke down 70. In this particular case, many people are donating and volunteering for an operation that has deceived not only them but the public as well. Yes I'm a squeaky wheel but I would rather say something rather than let others get duped by these clowns. After all, would you rent something and be ok with not getting paid, treated poorly, sent nasty emails while going through a life threatening disease? Yes, that's right! While I was doing chemotherapy one of the directors actually sent me demanding emails to sell the engine that almost got him arrested! That's the kind of folks they are. I was so bothered by his actions I don't even want him to touch the engine ever again. I'm fighting for my life and he seemed to think I was remotely worried about the prospect of him running and or them owning a locomotive? Not one bit! So yes Noel, I am warning anyone I can about the Adirondack Railway Preservation Society and how they act. Not only do they have absolutely no respect for anyone or anything but they want the public, it's volunteers and employees to think that we did it all. Well Noel I'm sure you might be happy to forfeit your profits but I'm not so I'll make you a deal, you send me the payments and I'll keep my mouth shut for you. I really don't care who pays me so long as I get paid. I have a contract that will deal with that in the end.
I don't follow all of this and really I don't care either, too much personalities and not enough facts. As for riding the line, I would feel perfectly comfortable riding any train that they operate. Their operating people are working under NORAC rules which is one of the best rulebooks in the business and they are fully qualified at least in my opinion and that is the one that counts with me. Most of the arguments here are a bunch of petty nonsense.
Noel Weaver
  by lvrr325

tree68 wrote:ASRR is a far different operation than it was a few years ago when it was neck deep in debt due to the poor management that knew how to spend, but not how to bring in business.

Now it's being run as a business, and there are people who will chafe under such conditions. Especially those who saw the railroad as their personal playground.
Then why don't they let the locomotive leave, instead allowing this potential PR snafu to fester? Even if it's one or two individuals with the problem, the group should be able to override them. All they have to do is get it to the junction and MA&N can do the rest.

Part of the problem is they've had it there so long they feel like it belongs to them.

Based on what I've seen, I wouldn't ride their line under the current management.

By the way, Noel, don't tell GVT how potentially unreliable RS3s are.
  by greenwichlirr

Hey Gang.....it seems that ARTA's resident Vending machine expert and parking lot stalker is bored with no parking lot to stalk this season, so now he is cutting and pasting all of the recent discord from the last bunch of posts here. I take no sides in the 8223 debate because as of this writing I don't know the details....but here is a classic case of reasons why debates like this in an open forum are not wise, because loose cannons like you-know-who take it and run with it.

So since we *know* he's watching (which of course, just points out yet another lie of his that said he was never here nor does he come here to this forum), let's all say Hi to him as we obviously know he's checking in on us.

Yep....these people are indeed real.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ut-1

I videoed the Utica-Thendara train yesterday in Forestport. Both northbound & southbound views are presented; here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyMUZcWCu_M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, snapped this photo as 1502 was crossing the Mohawk River in Utica yesterday morning:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by thebigham

Readers are upset with the mayor of Lake Placid:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... ic-safety/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rails, trails, electricity and public safety

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
SEP 27, 2017

To the editor:

The latest concern that Mayor Randall expressed concerning the rails is such hogwash! The 115KV power lines were installed for the 1980 Olympics, and the rails were there...

and...

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... out-rails/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Placid mayor is disingenuous about rails

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
SEP 26, 2017

To the editor:

I write to comment regarding the article published Sept. 23 and written by Antonio Olivero regarding the Lake Placid power line.

Mayor Randall’s comments are disingenuous … in a word...
  by thebigham

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... ith-trail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Judge sides with railroad, annuls state plan to replace tracks with trail
SEP 27, 2017
by JUSTIN A. LEVINE
Staff Writer
[email protected]

MALONE — A judge sided today with the Adirondack Railway Preservation Society, ruling in favor of the group’s lawsuit against the state replacing tracks with a multi-use trail between Lake Placid and Tupper Lake.

In an order filed today, acting state Supreme Court Justice Robert Main Jr. found that state agencies’ decision to remove the tracks was arbitrary and capricious, as argued by ARPS, which does business as the Adirondack Scenic Railroad. The judge found that removing railroad infrastructure to construct a trail would effectively remove Segment 2 from Remsen-Lake Placid Travel Corridor designation; therefore, such a use could not be allowed in a unit management plan for the travel corridor...
  by Noel Weaver

This is a very encouraging development, Of course the state might appeal this one to a higher court but at least their plans are on hold for now. I hope the higher courts will see it the same way.
Noel Weaver
  by charlie6017

BOOM!!!!!

**edit**

(Of course Mcculley already said ARTA will appeal. Because of course why would he respect the judge? He doesn't respect anyone else.)
Last edited by charlie6017 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Cactus Jack

Very positive news but as everyone does their happy dance don't loose sight of the fact there is likely to be an appeal and it is still not a given that NYSDOT will issue an operating permit for anything north of Big Moose. This is what happened in 1981 after ADRC filed bankruptcy and the corridor went into hibernation maintained only by beavers and mother nature until it was a washed out mess when operations resumed in 1992.