• Hunter Harrison at CSX

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Gilbert B Norman

CPF363 wrote:CSX might decide to sell a part of the system instead of going for an outright merger with CP acquiring the Water Level Route from Weehawken, N.J. through Selkirk to Greenwich, Ohio, the old PRR Crestline to Chicago line and the B&A. An agreement to jointly own the Big Four between Greenwich and Crestline would also be a part of the arrangement linking the two segments together. CSX would route cars bound for New York via its line through Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Philadelphia (Q388). The sale would get CSX out of the highly taxed State of New York and give CP access to the New York market at the same time. Could be a win-win for CSX in the end with them getting hefty price for the whole line and still remain in the major eastern market places at the same time.
It is difficult to envision Yäger wanting to part company with likely the most efficient piece of railroad - the NYC/CR/CSX Water Level Route - in the Northeast and routing all CSX traffic via the B&O. If there is any foundation to the Railway Age report noted over at the Hyndman topic, suggesting that Yäger's idea of precision railroading means relying on all too often "the other guy's" brake shoes (private owner ---X cars) rather than his Diesel fuel for dynamic braking, he is fast becoming another Eddie Burkhardt. Exposure to more of Hyndman would be "doubled in Spades".

Now possibly what Yäger has in mind for the NYC is to have passenger agencies come begging at his feet for the opportunity to purchase the second main track, resulting in an operation like that prevalent Salt Lake-Ogden between the UP and Utah Transportation Frontrunner. With ROW sufficient for four tracks from NYC days, the Agency (Amtrak, NYSDOT, NYMTA; whoever) would have room to build what passing sidings were needed. Since "precision railroading" does not seem to mean "swift railroading", he could let his track be regraded as Class 4, putting the wampum in his pocket from now excess maintenance.
  by mtuandrew

Why would Class IV (60/80) be a problem for Amtrak in NYS? As far as I know, they only exceed 79 mph on track they already lease from CSX & maintain to AMTK standards.

If you mean Class III (40/60), that definitely would be a problem for everyone.
  by Gilbert B Norman

You have a point, Mr. Stephens.

As I noted immediately, "precision railroading" does not mean "swift railroading". Possibly, Yäger is happy if his trains keep moving at Class 3 40mph - and maybe two engines can meet that standard with 18KT. They'd best keep moving lest he finds crews "dying" on him.

I'm sure he has minions of Trainees, as I once was @ MILW, developing that it costs $X a mile to maintain Class 4 v. that for Class 3, and if the benefits of operating trains @ 60mph are worth it.

Safe assumption Yäger holds in disrespect the 24hr Chi-NY area service (or a 16hr Century) the Central once operated. But from what I know about the maritime industry, if those containers are late, he'd best have a few Danish, Japanese, and Chinese cuss words in his vocabulary.
  by mmi16

Commodities in the supermarket have sell by dates.

The normal 'retirement' or sell by date in the employment world is 65.

It is normally anticipated that one that is employed is in a state of health where they can function without 'assistance' beyond eyeglasses.

Harrision is 72 - 7 years past his sell by date and has to be on oxygen on a continuous basis. Lack of oxygen creates brain damage, I suspect over the years his brain has suffered quite a bit of damage before his condition was fully diagnosed as well as 'slip ups' when his oxygen bottle ran out. For my 700+ shares I viewed him as being physically unqualified for the CEO post, let alone the ransom he demanded for his abrupt departure from CP an voted against him. The institutional 'investors' , beyond Mantle Ridge, have to be dumb as stumps and brain dead to have installed this shuffling cadaver in the CSX CEO position. He is past his sell by date and has brain damage.
  by amtrakhogger

LOL!
  by mtuandrew

Mr. Norman, you have a point. It's a bullheaded philosophy, but one that squeezes short-term profitability (such as is needed for his paycheck & parachute) out of a long-term investment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but have I heard rumblings that the Canadians have reinstalled, reopened, and repaired facilities since he left?

At this point, CSX may need a merger.

mmi16, I hope you can sell at a good price!
  by mmi16

EHH's prior stops - IC, CN, CP have been properties, because of their limited economic impact to the US, really weren't watched for their operational missteps. CSX and for that matter NS since the ConRail split up have been closely watched. Leadership has had to provide metrix to the STB as well as talk to Congress from time to time about service failures - both freight and passenger. EHH's operating tactics have never had the scrutiny in the Northland that there is in CSX Land.
  by QB 52.32

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Safe assumption Yäger holds in disrespect the 24hr Chi-NY area service (or a 16hr Century) the Central once operated. But from what I know about the maritime industry, if those containers are late, he'd best have a few Danish, Japanese, and Chinese cuss words in his vocabulary.
Danish, Japanese and Chinese Mandarin would be the least of it compared to the kind of English he'd be on the receiving end of were service to deteriorate for the speed, reliability & frequency-dependent customers that use the ex-Conrail northern tier in large quanitity, believe me. Worthy to note that it appears this is a segment of CSX's operation not affected by service problems at this point.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Fair Use from Mr. MMI's immediate:
Railroad giant CSX, which is under fire from regulators for operating changes that have disrupted its freight service nationwide, laid off more than 60 employees this week at its primary Chicago switching yard, according to the workers' union.

The furloughed engineers, conductors and switchmen represent about half of the operating employees at Barr Yard, a switching facility in south suburban Riverdale that funnels most of CSX freight traffic through Chicago.

In conjunction with the layoffs, CSX reportedly has diverted some freight traffic to other switching yards, fueling rumors that Barr Yard may close entirely.

"When you talk about half of the workforce being laid off, then you start to really worry about the future of the facility itself," said Bob Guy, Illinois legislative director for the transportation division of the International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers union, which represents CSX operations employees.

Rob Doolittle, a spokesman for Jacksonville, Fla.-based CSX, did not confirm the layoffs but said in an email Wednesday that the company is making changes to its operations in Chicago.

"CSX is in the process of reviewing its operations throughout the Chicago region to identify ways to optimize the movement of freight among CSX facilities and with partner organizations," Doolittle said.
If Yäger does shut down Barr, hath he visions of having through freights doing switching at every traffic source he has in Chicago?

I realize that Reciprocal Switching, while quite prevalent "back in my (1970-81) day", has found its way into history books nowadays, but some industry feeling adversely affected, could well petition the Surfboard to allow such with NS, or might Chicago simply become another Conrail Shared Assets region?

It almost seems as if Yäger is getting ready to grab his oxygen mask, and of course his $82M, and make a run for it. It's happened before within the industry, and it will happen again.
  by Zeke

When EHH ascended the throne at CN and after reading an in depth report on CN freight rates a quote attributed to him may shed some light on the old fox and his inner thinking...... " You know we can make twice the money hauling half the freight here."
  by Gilbert B Norman

From Crowne Plaza Piitter Salzburg

Sure seems like a lot in common between Yäger and another overweight, scowling, roundmouthed, Orange coiffed septugenerian.

Hafta say, in the Hotel bar, I was asked by an English speaking German "How could you Americans have been so blind???"
  by mmi16

A simple majority weren't so blind - just not in the right places.

Likewise Harrison did not get the votes from my shares.
  by Zeke

I bought a load of CSX stock last year around 27 a share and Friday it closed at 48 and briefly flirted over 49 dollars a share during trading hours. MMWGA...... Make My Wallet Great Again. 62 million Frenchmen cant be wrong. LOL