• What's left around Greycourt and Maybrook?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

by NJ Vike

Here's one of my excursions to Maybrook. I highly recommend the trip. There's also a small train museum there but it contains plenty of information and a few knowledgeable people who worked for the railroads up there.

Here's a link to my trip. I hope you enjoy it:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 8;start=20
  by gawlikfj

Thank You everyone for the info and pictures of the beautiful series from Greycourt to Maybrook.
It was done like a professional. I've been to Maybrook yard a few times and enjoyed reliving what is left.
Thank You Everyone.
Frank
  by gawlikfj

Only these railroads served Maybrook, The New Haven which owned the yards, Lehigh & Hudson River, Erie,L&NE, O&W.
If you walked toward Yellow Freight and halfway down yellow freight on your right was the shell of the Icehouse all covered in trees & shrubs and grass.
Its hard to believe in 31 years how fast the trees & shrubs can grow and cover the largest yard in the East.
  by gawlikfj

I received my copy of the book Images of America Walden and Maybrook and it is real good showing how these places looked many years ago. I highly recommend it ,especially after this great series of the Lehigh & Hudson River .

by NJ Vike

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will purchase a copy even though I still have many books to read.

Ken

by David Hutchinson

Is the Administration Building in the photos the old YMCA or is it the "office" building, as it is marked in the TRAINS issue a few months ago, that was on the east side of the westbound yard area? Anyone know who owns this building?
  by gawlikfj

The Administration building is North of the icehouse .That too is just a shell being concrete. Not sure who owns it.
The YMCA burnt down in the 1970's but the gym is used as a karate school.

by David Hutchinson

The Administration Building, as I have just found out, is part of about (740) acres that the Imperatore's (of A-P-A Trucking fame) own. It is now under development. Should be house and condos in a few years. Everyone involved are aware of the town's railroad future and plan on incorporating items that will reflect this.

by David

David Hutchinson wrote: Everyone involved are aware of the town's railroad future and plan on incorporating items that will reflect this.

David, can you explain a little more about this comment---Thanks

by charlie6017

NJ Vike wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will purchase a copy even though I still have many books to read.

Ken
You can never have too many good railroad books to read! :-D

by NJ Vike

charlie6017 wrote:
NJ Vike wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will purchase a copy even though I still have many books to read.

Ken
You can never have too many good railroad books to read! :-D
Charlie,

This is true. Just when I think I have read most RR books, out come more or ones that are out of print that I find necessary.

Ken