• Pan Am Railways (PAR) Maintenance of Way (MoW) Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by neman2

No sign of the train or rail between CPF 312 and Depot road in Westford this morning (7/8/17). I would guess it's in the Hill Yard in Ayer? There's a video on YouTube of the train on the Worcester branch Thursday evening.
From DpLfilms-
https://youtu.be/553Gec5c9kY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by BostonUrbEx

neman2 wrote:I would guess it's in the Hill Yard in Ayer?
Actually, I'm pretty sure it is in Lowell somewhere. Not sure where exactly, though.
  by newpylong

What is amazing about the whole thing is it takes one work train and an operator and a foreman one day to clean up several miles of tie piles. Look back at older photos, it never became common practice to build and leave tie mountains for years until the past ~20 years.
  by MEC407

Plus it costs them tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars when an employee injures himself or herself due to accidentally tripping over the various MoW detritus, only to be disciplined by the railroad, and said railroad then ends up in court once or thrice and has to pay the aforementioned money to the employee whose discipline was ruled improper by the courts...
  by trainsinmaine

Bless Buckland! I think it's about time this issue of dumped ties is addressed. PanAm (Guilford) has been doing this for the past thirty-plus years. As noted, the ties are not only a hazard in a variety of ways; they also indicate that this is a railroad that doesn't mind doing things in a slovenly way as long as they're making money. Some of PanAm's roadbeds look disgraceful (in addition to being poorly maintained). You'd think they would care. NOT. I live in an area where PanAm and the CM&Q both operate. I cross both of the main line roadbeds frequently. The difference is like night and day.
  by fogg1703

Doesn't a subsidiary of Pan Am own the tie chipper in Mattawamkeag? Aren't the chips then sold as fuel? So other railroads must pay to dispose of their ties while PAR essentially makes money off them and they are still dumped in some areas along the system.
  by johnpbarlow

When PAS partner NS performs RoW maintenance on the D&H or Southern Tier lines, upon completion the RoW is pristine with spent ties stacked ready to be hauled away. It's too bad that this neatness/orderliness ethic doesn't rub off on Pan Am Southern.
  by BandA

What is the impact on drinking water from the creosote in the fresh ties + the creosote in the old ties debris? Plus the fire danger from piles of old ties. Does the creosote migrate into the water table, do soil bacteria eventually break down the creosote? What other chemicals are in the ties?
  by Mikejf

CPF363 wrote:Did the rail train ever make any drops on PAR or was it purchased for another railroad?
Conn River line is where that last load went, according to that thread.