• Conditional offer (BNSF) - With Injury

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by johnnyrr

Hey guys/gals,

New here, so thanks for letting me join the group. I have a unique situation that I hope some of you can shed some light on with a similar hiring experience.

I had knee surgery (ACL & Meniscus) May 25th, and went into my interview session on June 20, 2017. I left the crutches in the truck, and limped in with my knee brace on under my pants. I had a great interview & recieved a Conditional Offer.

As of now, I am on "Medical Hold" until I get a Full Medical Release from my surgeon to go back to work. The problem is that I will be testing on the Biodex Machine for my physical test. According to my Physical Therapists, "That machine is the worst thing you can strap yourself into with your type of repair even after you are fully healed". The reason why is because I had a Hamstring Graft, and the nature of the leg extension resistance test. They gave me a high possibility of ruining my Graft even after I am healed, and said if I am crazy enough to get in that machine, wait 9 to 12 months.

Has anyone had a similar surgery that they have recovered from, and was tested on the Biodex Machine? How long after the offer did BNSF or UP wait for you?

All answers appreciated, Thanks!
Last edited by johnnyrr on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

I think you should be able to get to your own answer ??
  by trkspd

They're not going to wait for you, the railroad never waits for anyone. They will tap one of the alternate candidates on the shoulder and hire them. I hate to put it like that, but it's the truth. You would be crazy trying to take the testing for them given the advice/warning from your doctor. Especially since if you hire on with the railroad you are very extremely likely to not even mark up after you finish your conductors final exam. You'll have a conductors card, but not a spot to work. Furlough, I hope you've already researched what that is.
  by johnnyrr

Looking at the samples of the Union Pacific Physical Capabilities test, it looks more natural, and simulates movement as to what you would most likely be doing on the actual job. I have taken all the required tests for UP, and am now waiting for an interview to be scheduled with them. Either way, my knee rehab is the most important right now, I won't give up, I will get in somewhere when the time comes.