Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by ctaman34

how come the annoucments say that all passengers mustleave the train like:this is midway as far as this train goes all passengers must leave the train

by byte

They tell people to get off because there are many, many bums who call the CTA home. On two runs (Red line trains terminating at Howard and Blue line trains terminating at Forest Park), the trains are turned on a loop, which evens out wheel wear. Even though the operator doesn't need to leave the cab to make the turn, they'll usually do so and kick out anyone trying to use the railcars as a motel (who will then just get on the same train once it's been turned around). I think the Midway terminal has an exit-only platform. I'm not exactly sure how it works out (seems kind of pointless to have to turn the train in the yard just to bring it to a platform that's fifteen feet away) but it's there. They do turn a couple of other trains in the yard - Skokie Swift and non-Evanston Express Purple line trains come to mind - and try to get everyone off then because the operator has to walk through the train to get to the other cab and doesn't need a crazed one-eyed transient throwing a whisky bottle at them; although some bums will ignore the automated announcement (because they're busy sleeping or just being annoying) and will probably get caught by the CTA employee walking through the train.

by matt1168

I like the way CTA-guy says that. It's short, sweet, and to the point.

What I can't stand is in NYC, where for the entire distance between the second to last station and the last station, you hear the guy on the automated announcement go:

THIS IS THE LAST STOP ON THIS TRAIN! EVERYONE PLEASE LEAVE THE TRAIN! THIS IS THE LAST STOP ON THIS TRAIN.

(Here's an example: http://transitalk.info/Photos/TLogan/22 ... i_7576.mp3 )

by ctaman34

matt1168 wrote:I like the way CTA-guy says that. It's short, sweet, and to the point.

What I can't stand is in NYC, where for the entire distance between the second to last station and the last station, you hear the guy on the automated announcement go:

THIS IS THE LAST STOP ON THIS TRAIN! EVERYONE PLEASE LEAVE THE TRAIN! THIS IS THE LAST STOP ON THIS TRAIN.

the nyc annoucments are annoying and btw matt arent you from rd

by matt1168

ctaman34 wrote:
matt1168 wrote:I like the way CTA-guy says that. It's short, sweet, and to the point.

the nyc annoucments are annoying and btw matt arent you from rd
Yep. I registered here a couple of months before registering at RD though.

by ctaman34

byte wrote:They tell people to get off because there are many, many bums who call the CTA home. On two runs (Red line trains terminating at Howard and Blue line trains terminating at Forest Park), the trains are turned on a loop, which evens out wheel wear. Even though the operator doesn't need to leave the cab to make the turn, they'll usually do so and kick out anyone trying to use the railcars as a motel (who will then just get on the same train once it's been turned around). I think the Midway terminal has an exit-only platform. I'm not exactly sure how it works out (seems kind of pointless to have to turn the train in the yard just to bring it to a platform that's fifteen feet away) but it's there. They do turn a couple of other trains in the yard - Skokie Swift and non-Evanston Express Purple line trains come to mind - and try to get everyone off then because the operator has to walk through the train to get to the other cab and doesn't need a crazed one-eyed transient throwing a whisky bottle at them; although some bums will ignore the automated announcement (because they're busy sleeping or just being annoying) and will probably get caught by the CTA employee walking through the train.
the midway termnal has 3 platforms used for exiting and entering the train

by 7 Train

On the NYC Subway, it goes like this:

This is (terminal station). Please take all belongings, thank you for riding MTA New York City Transit and have a pleasant day.

by ChiTownHustler

Only on the IRT lines with the new R142 trains. Normally, you get the conductor yelling "LAST STOP LAST STOP LAST STOP! You MUST LEAVE this train!" Or when people are clueless (usually tourists or drunks at night), the conductor starts really yelling for people to get off the train or they will have them removed and fined.

In NYC (with the exception of some stations like the 6 at Brooklyn Bridge), they kick people out because the cleaners come through and do a quick tidying up. And that usually gets even the crazies off the train so the cleaners don't have to confront them.

by ctaman34

ChiTownHustler wrote:Only on the IRT lines with the new R142 trains. Normally, you get the conductor yelling "LAST STOP LAST STOP LAST STOP! You MUST LEAVE this train!" Or when people are clueless (usually tourists or drunks at night), the conductor starts really yelling for people to get off the train or they will have them removed and fined.

In NYC (with the exception of some stations like the 6 at Brooklyn Bridge), they kick people out because the cleaners come through and do a quick tidying up. And that usually gets even the crazies off the train so the cleaners don't have to confront them.
atleast the cta guy says it short and sweet

by ctaman34

byte wrote:They tell people to get off because there are many, many bums who call the CTA home. On two runs (Red line trains terminating at Howard and Blue line trains terminating at Forest Park), the trains are turned on a loop, which evens out wheel wear. Even though the operator doesn't need to leave the cab to make the turn, they'll usually do so and kick out anyone trying to use the railcars as a motel (who will then just get on the same train once it's been turned around). I think the Midway terminal has an exit-only platform. I'm not exactly sure how it works out (seems kind of pointless to have to turn the train in the yard just to bring it to a platform that's fifteen feet away) but it's there. They do turn a couple of other trains in the yard - Skokie Swift and non-Evanston Express Purple line trains come to mind - and try to get everyone off then because the operator has to walk through the train to get to the other cab and doesn't need a crazed one-eyed transient throwing a whisky bottle at them; although some bums will ignore the automated announcement (because they're busy sleeping or just being annoying) and will probably get caught by the CTA employee walking through the train.
and what about at ohare what the deal

by Robert Paniagua

And here in Boston they do the same things, but at outside platform stations, and at the Bowdoin Loop, they say "Bowdoin/Wonderland/Ashmont/Old EL Forest Hills last stop no passengers please, no passengers, this train is coming out of service no passengers". However, this is not due to the homeless, it's because of this strict rule established by MBTA management in the mid-1980s that they can't have revenue civilian riders to ride around when they are crossing trains in non-revenue areas, and on the Bowdoin Loop, since it's a tight loop, and if the train derails or collides somewhere at the yard leads, the MBTA does not want to be held civily liable, so they make everyone get off at those stations, although Forest Hills has changed, it's now a, island platform, so they don't cross the train into non-public areas like it's predecessor EL station.