Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by AlanR

I will be moving to White Plains soon and I am having trouble getting an answer to a Metro North related question:

When a Metro North train stops at or just passes through the White Plains Metro North station, is it electric or diesel powered? The academic in me is intensely curious so many thanks for any help you can give me in answering the question.

AHR
  by Backshophoss

Just about every train stops at White Plains Station, 90% are EMU's(M-3's/M-7's)some are diesel powered.
There are a few EXPRESS trains that skip the station stop at White Plains.
You can get the entire Harlem Line Schedule as a pdf file from the MTA site.
  by shadyjay

I believe the only trains that run on electric (third rail) through White Plains are M.U. trains (M-3s or M-7s). The push-pull trains (locomotive-hauled coaches) are running on diesel power through White Plains until reaching 125th st in Manhattan.
  by DutchRailnut

think I ran out of face palm pictures ?? all are MU except the thru trains going to or from wassaic.
  by GirlOnTheTrain

Ok, so in plain English: Look at a timetable - if it starts in Wassaic or Wassaic is the final destination it's diesel. If the train goes to/from Southeast or North White it's electric.
  by checkthedoorlight

There's an exception to this rule. 509 and 534 consistently runs with maxi bombs for godonlyknowswhy....
  by TDowling

I believe the only times that diesels run through WP are during the rush hours...someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
  by NaugyRR

I don't believe that's true, I've been on through trains both in-and-outbound during the off-peak
  by RearOfSignal

TDowling wrote:I believe the only times that diesels run through WP are during the rush hours...someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
943 is the only off-peak diesel that runs through White Plains on the weekday. There are also a couple of them on weekends going in. I think only 1 going out in the afternoon though.
  by rr503

DutchRailnut wrote:think I ran out of face palm pictures ?? all are MU except the thru trains going to or from wassaic.
Wow. Way to answer a perfectly valid question...

Yes, as previous posters have said, most are electrics. Third rail ends at Southeast, so north of there, diesel power has to be used. Most of MN's diesel fleet has electric pickup shoes too, so they can run on 3rd rail into GCT.

If you ever see a train, it's pretty easy to tell if they're electric or not. All diesels have a discernible locomotive and cars, while the electrics will look like a bunch of cars moving along without an engine.

Hope I've been helpful!

Here are some pics

Diesel:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Gene ... sining.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Electric:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M7_(rai ... iv_hts.JPG

Or

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1/M3_( ... Harmon.jpg
  by Tadman

DutchRailnut wrote:think I ran out of face palm pictures ?? all are MU except the thru trains going to or from wassaic.
mod note
Dutch, original poster is a new member and obviously not a railroader. Observe the golden rule, please.