• SC-44 Siemens Charger Locomotives

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by R30A

Tadman wrote: I'm with Chaser on this one. (A) anything other than subway cars with such a sign has not been plugged in for long. A few Cosmopolitans had these and they didn't last long; (b) any station where there might be more than one Amtrak train at a time has such protective safety maven procedures that one is not allowed on a platform unless the train is in the station and ready to board and the passengers are walked to the train. I have no idea why this is as any busy European station has open platform access.
Currently used destination signs are in operation on many if not most commuter rail lines in the country, including on many Amtrak trains. Most multiple departure stations shared between Amtrak and Commuter railroads have some form of open access to Amtrak platforms. The only stations I can think of where that is not the case are Philadelphia and Seattle, where this issue is avoided by splitting the commuter rail to a separate set of platforms.
  by STrRedWolf

R30A wrote:Currently used destination signs are in operation on many if not most commuter rail lines in the country, including on many Amtrak trains. Most multiple departure stations shared between Amtrak and Commuter railroads have some form of open access to Amtrak platforms. The only stations I can think of where that is not the case are Philadelphia and Seattle, where this issue is avoided by splitting the commuter rail to a separate set of platforms.
For major stations, separate services having separate tracks works. However, some stations don't have that, and some people think the next train is *THEIR* train, when they have a Amtrak-only ticket and up comes a MARC on the NEC. They don't even pay attention on the styling of the cars. Three examples:
  • New Carrolton is only two track currently, but serves both Amtrak and MARC.
  • BWI Airport is effectively two track (until they rebuild it for four-tracking). Conductors on MARC 445 making this stop tend to re-announce the welcome announcement, but also say "$12 to DC. Amtrak 85 tickets are not accepted. Amtrak 85 tickets are not accepted."
  • Baltimore Penn Station usually reserves tracks 4 and 5 for terminate-and-turn MARC trains, while 6 and 7 are Amtrak and MARC thru-service. However, they've been known make 4 a thru-service track at times (both Amtrak and MARC).
So having a LED sign on the engine flashing "MARC 445"/"WASHINGTON"/"NO AMTRAK" can help, and if it's part of the spec for the entire order, it can't hurt to try it out.
  by ApproachMedium

NJT has been operating them since the mid 90s on the head end of their cab cars. The engines always show them in the concept photos but they never arrive. It is a useful feature as its pulling in to the station, with various destinations. I dont see much use for it on the michigan line yet but other lines probably.
  by ExCon90

For many years the Burlington displayed a tail sign on trains waiting to depart CUS during the evening rush hour. They were all going to the same place, but making different stops--I'm sure it was reassuring for intending passengers to see the departure time displayed on the rear of the train. (Have I also seen this at La Salle St.?) Displaying train ID is particularly useful if trains are running out of sequence, since the regulars in particular are accustomed to boarding the train that's on a certain track while tuning out the announcements. (Of course, as has been noted, if such signage is installed, it is necessary to maintain it in working order.)
  by STrRedWolf

ApproachMedium wrote:NJT has been operating them since the mid 90s on the head end of their cab cars. The engines always show them in the concept photos but they never arrive. It is a useful feature as its pulling in to the station, with various destinations. I dont see much use for it on the michigan line yet but other lines probably.
MARC is doing that now with the MARC IV cars. I was on 418 today, and rode on a MARC IV that rotated through: "MARC TRAIN" "PENN LINE" "TRAIN 418"

Would love it if the Chargers have 'em up front showing "MARC TRAIN" "PENN LINE" "TRAIN 406" while 408 blurs by....
  by Backshophoss

Recently,a pair of WSDOT Chargers(#'s 1402,1404) spent some time at the AAR test facility in Pueblo Co.
Were they sent there for Certification testing for testing with the ILDOT Chargers?
They were cycled to from Pueblo on the SW Chief instead of the CZ this time.
  by Jeff Smith

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/pas ... enter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amtrak will build a $28-million locomotive service facility in Seattle.

The U.S. passenger rail corporation said the project is its third major investment in the Seattle facility that provides services for the long-distance Empire Builder and Coast Starlight; Amtrak Cascades state-supported corridor service, and maintenance for Sound Transit Sounder commuter trains.

The project, to be managed by PCL Construction Services, will include demolition of the site’s existing buildings, utilities, tracks, and other structures, as well as construction of a new 31,000-square-foot locomotive shop. Existing yard tracks will be reconfigured to provide access to the new facility, which will be equipped with a 55-ton crane and a new 125-ton drop table, the latter funded by the Washington State Department of Transportation.
  by Backshophoss

For a long time there was only a tin shed over 1 track,barely 40 foot long,that was the carshop at Seattle. :(
That has finally changed to a shop that maintains the Talgos,Superliners,and the Sounder commuter cars
Engine service was in the open air,NO shelter of any kind. Nearest shop was at BNSF's Interbay yard's Roundhouse. :(
This will allow proper service and running repairs for the WSDOT Chargers,Cascade F59's,Amtrak's P-42's,and Sounder's power.
and cut down on "borrowed" BNSF and UP power on the Cascades services
  by mtuandrew

Three different makes of engine! Maybe they should add more? Best get an order of EMD F125s, Alston ALP-45DPs, and some sets of Nippon Sharyo DMUs. I bet MPI would sell them an MP14B for switching, Brookville a BL20 for work and rescue passenger service, and Knoxville one of their Geep replacements just because. Heck, there might be one or two Bombardier LRCs around still :-D
  by Tadman

I think the idea is to cut down on power types - the F59 will not be long for this world and if all goes well, the P42 will phase out over the next 5-ish years.

I'm surprised they opened the shop in Seattle over Portland. It's hard to keep skilled tradesman in Seattle as Boeing will always offer them more. Every train that goes to Seattle goes to Portland, too.
  by AgentSkelly

Don't forget too, Amtrak also used to send those F59 units to Oakland via deadhead move on the Coast Starlight for anything major...
  by AgentSkelly

mtuandrew wrote:Easier to catch the Starlight units at the end of their run maybe? It does seem more expensive to keep help and buy land.
Well, Oakland handles the F59 better and they have an proper service building verses Seattle, which did work on P42 engines out in the open, which I am sure crews love working on diesel motors IN THE RAIN...

However, I've been told that Amtrak has sent F59 units to VIA Rail's Vancouver Maintenance Center time to time as well, which is a shorter run but more expensive. But from the sound of things, I have a feeling that Seattle will do all Charger work outside of California; in California, they can just send them to Siemens in Sacramento...
  by east point

AgentSkelly wrote:
mtuandrew wrote: I have a feeling that Seattle will do all Charger work outside of California; in California, they can just send them to Siemens in Sacramento...
Probably until Seattle facility is built or enough of it built will send units back to SAC ?