Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by cam36

Hi all,

I was headed eastbound and passed the Hillside facility around 8:20pm last night and noticed an orange M3 (i think it was an M3, we were moving pretty quick) in one of the bays. Anyone know what this is for? I've never seen it before.

Thanks!
  by cam36

I managed to snap a quick photo as I was passing- apologies not the best quality. Anyone know what this is used for?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Backshophoss

Could that be the "new" Sandite car?
  by BuddR32

Looks like 9918, its not orange, on purpose. Its either the reflection of something, or it was stained somehow.
  by inthebag

You weren't seeing things. That's the new sandite/alcohol car. It's been painted in Texas Longhorn Orange with white stripe, with some horns affixed by the headlights for a certain SVP Operations.
  by cam36

inthebag wrote:You weren't seeing things. That's the new sandite/alcohol car. It's been painted in Texas Longhorn Orange with white stripe, with some horns affixed by the headlights for a certain SVP Operations.
Thanks! What exactly does this car do?
  by Backshophoss

Sprays alcohol on the 3rd rail to remove snow/ ice, sprays a solution of sand on the running rails to stop wheel slipping or spinning.
Wonder how long it will stay orange? Both materials can be hard on the paint job. :wink:
  by nyandw

Backshophoss wrote:Sprays alcohol on the 3rd rail to remove snow/ ice, sprays a solution of sand on the running rails to stop wheel slipping or spinning.
Wonder how long it will stay orange? Both materials can be hard on the paint job. :wink:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrmo ... hol%20Cars
Sandite is a sticky, slimy goo stuff. These are a set of cars that were converted with large tanks inside. They're used during the fall/winter. The cars drop the sandite on the railhead and it helps with traction. Alcohol is used on the 3rd rail to prevent freeze ups. #2907 and #2909 are alcohol cars. Paul Strubeck

Photo: Mario Craig

Be sure to photo this in the orange!
  by DogBert

Has this thing made any public appearances yet, especially now that it's leaf season?