• Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited Connection

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JLJ061

This weekend I will be taking the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited from Chicago to Tucson, AZ.

I was wondering how the connection will be made at San Antonio? I assume a sleeper and coach will be cut from the Eagle and coupled to the rear of the Sunset when it arrives?
  by Backshophoss

Hopefully you are aware of the current Detour via UP to Austin instead of the normal routing thru D-FW Metroplex.
#1 tends to be OT or early at San Antonio,#21 tends to be 1 hour late there.
  by bratkinson

Assuming they do the procedure as they did 4 weeks ago when I rode 421 CHI-LAX, you'll stay in your car with lights and A/C working as normal. Once #1 arrives, 'they' will switch out the two cars (thru sleeper in front of diner & thru coach in the rear) will be removed and placed in the rearmost positions on #1. They did NOT wye the sleeper so it was 'backwards' on #1. I woke up a couple of times during the switching, so I don't know what power they used for switching. I was surprised at the change from 4-5 years ago when both through cars were at the end of #21 departing STL (CHI-STL coach behind the through cars was removed at STL).

If you are going the other direction as I did a week later, 'they' moved both cars to #22 with the sleeper once again in front of the diner and the coach at the rear...THEN they wyed the entire train upon departing SAS.