• Is Fostoria worth the drive? Thanks!!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by caf0929

My almost 3 year old is really into trains. Last fall, I took him to Berea almost every other weekend until it got too cold to be outside. We have gone to Berea a couple of times in the past month or 2, but haven't seen much. I have heard that Fostoria is a great place, so I am thinking of playing hooky from work and taking him there. We would probably go mid-week in the morning, but I wanted to make sure we would see alot of trains before we make the hour and half drive. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Christine
Mommy to Future Engineer Nick

by gravelyfan

I'm not the most qualified person to answer this, having been there exactly once in 2003, but seeing as no one else has stepped up so far, I'll give it a shot.

Fostoria is plenty busy with trains. I can't really comment on day of week variations, etc. given my limited experience, but I think there are well in excess of 100 trains/day through town.

One challenge, though, is that there is no one place you can sit and see all of the action. There are three separate double track rail lines that cross at grade within a half mile of each other, forming an "iron triangle". Fans do seem to congregate at the Amtrak station (although there is no Amtrak through town anymore) where there is a parking lot. This is along the ex B&O line, which is the busiest of the 3 lines through town.

One other spot a little closer to home for you would be Greenwich, which is fairly busy, although not as much as Fostoria.

Greenwich is about 50 miles southwest of Berea, while Fostoria is probably 100 miles from Berea.

Here is a link to the Trains Magazine website article about Fostoria:

http://www.trains.com/content/dynamic/a ... 0cyxlo.asp

Good luck!

by AmtrakFan

Amtrak was dumped April 6th. I was into trains at 18 Months.

by rail

I went there two years ago. The action is non stop. The only draw back that I would say is that the trains going slow 10 mph usually, and it is not exactly a nice place to be the hood seems kind of rough if you ask me. Also watch the RR police, stay at the depot to avoid trouble.

Have fun.