Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DogBert

Very random thought: Is there a platform in Grand Central that could be used to house a museum collection?

If I recall right, the MTA is holding a set of LIRR M1 cars for the transit museum, but they are obviously too long to be displayed at the Brooklyn subway museum. I'm sure the mta has a few other relics they could display there... The location of course would be fantastic for tourists.
  by Backshophoss

That might have to wait untill ESA is done and online for the LIRR.
Somebody will say there's NO room at GCT.
  by DutchRailnut

no way to sell it to commuters , using a track for museum while trains wait for tracks to open up in tunnel.
MofW already has trouble getting time on platform tracks for track work.
  by R36 Combine Coach

There's already a M-1 pair at Riverhead.
  by DutchRailnut

is riverhead in GCT ?
  by DogBert

Riverhead is RMLI, there's another set of m1s they held for the mta transit museum, but they have no place to put them.

Didn't realize space was that tight at gct. I guess well before ESA kicked in I recall a track or two that were not being used on the east side of the station, one had a really old NYC car on it (still lettered new york central, not that track 61 car)