• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

IF Amtrak were to want more diners, the only real practical approach would be to exercise the option for 30 additional Viewliner cars.
But that's EXTREMELY unlikely to happen for two reasons.
For one, it's not clear that Amtrak would get the funding for the cars (regardless of the type of car).
For another, Congress would look dimly upon any expansion of sleeper/diner service.

But hey, one can hope.
  by ApproachMedium

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Gottwalt, allow me to perfect your immediate posting. While as you note, all the H-Chows have delivered far more service than their "service life", the oldest one is a former NYC car with a Budd 1947 plate. It's final railroad service was a "lite-diner" assigned to the Century for the Coach crowd any anyone else scared away from "a $10 steak".

Budd was somewhat more "standardized" with car designs than were the other two "will build to suit" builders of the era. Their practice was "take 'em or leave 'em". A very visible approach to that was with the 1951 order for Corridor cars ("Congos"). One might wonder why didn't these cars have vestibules at both ends? That would "facilitate" boarding/alighting on the route especially at WIL, BAL, WAS, and for those of those cars assigned to Boston-Wash trains, any New Haven RR station. I'm sure PRR asked. but the answer was forget it.

But then, that philosophy carried over to the Amtrak era resulting in the most successful major procurement to date.

Too bad, some of these "latter day ringers"; listening CAF?, could not have read the Budd playbook - especially since as good as any passenger car built today has public funding, and public bureaucracies, attached to it.
I used to work on these Amtrak budd diners and ill tell you first hand there is no two of them that are alike. Budd did have custom work they did to suit railroads needs wants and designs. Amtrak has tried over the years to somewhat standardize them. The trucks are all fairly standard by two styles. There is a disc brake truck and an older style with the external pistons and clasp brakes. Other than that the car bodies are very alike, just vent holes, doors, windows etc are different. Interior panels dont match on any of these. The ex NYC diner has a very distinct interior and exterior.
  by ngotwalt

Mr. Norman,
I always forget about the NYC cars.

All I really meant was while I am sure Budd standardized the body, I am sure there was flexibility in everything that got hung on it. A car built for Southern probably didn't have same A/C unit as one of the slab side cars built for the Empire Builder or North Coast Limited. on the other hand the Southern car probably wasn't as well protected from freezing. Lets face it a Southern Car might make it to New York or Chicago, but then they would be headed back down to the warm south pretty quick. On the other hand a GN car would spend the better part of its life in winter in below freezing temps. This probably effected layout of electrical systems, heat runs, water runs, a/c placement, etc. The point is I agree Budd said here is our dining car take it or leave it, but once the railroad accepted that body style, there were customization options. As far as I know, few Amtrak diners were built for the same railroad and train, which is the only way you would have identical cars. In this way it means there is not commonality of parts the way there is with say VIA's Budd built dining cars.

Cheers,
Nick
  by bdawe

I keep reading about Budd's standardization, but I also keep reading that the fact that the vast majority of VIA Rail's heritage equipment comes from a single giant CPR order in 1953 has meaningful maintenance benefits
  by scoostraw

ngotwalt wrote:Hopefully a few will end up in Museums. Especially ex CBQ CZ diner, it's one of only two left.
Didn't I read somewhere (on here?) that Amtrak will no longer sell cars to other parties - that these diners will all be scrapped?
  by Jeff Smith

I know there's some overlap, but before we go too far afield:

More on Diners: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=87399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Diner Discussion

and: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=152059" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Heritage Diner Disposal
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ngotwalt wrote:Mr. Norman,
I always forget about the NYC cars.

All I really meant was while I am sure Budd standardized the body, I am sure there was flexibility in everything that got hung on it. A car built for Southern probably didn't have same A/C unit as one of the slab side cars built for the Empire Builder or North Coast Limited. on the other hand the Southern car probably wasn't as well protected from freezing. Lets face it a Southern Car might make it to New York or Chicago, but then they would be headed back down to the warm south pretty quick. On the other hand a GN car would spend the better part of its life in winter in below freezing temps. This probably effected layout of electrical systems, heat runs, water runs, a/c placement, etc. The point is I agree Budd said here is our dining car take it or leave it, but once the railroad accepted that body style, there were customization options. As far as I know, few Amtrak diners were built for the same railroad and train, which is the only way you would have identical cars. In this way it means there is not commonality of parts the way there is with say VIA's Budd built dining cars.

Cheers,
Nick
Also, large spread of years between when the various RR's ordered the Heritage Budds. Comet II's and Comet IV's may be virtually the same Bombardier commuter coach, but there was some evolution in parts between 1982 and 1996 upon NJ Transit's third bite at the BBD-era design. We're now in an era where that very generic 1978-96 second-gen Comet-n'-clones lineage is starting to get quickly phased out by commuter rail operators, and today's unlimited aftermarket parts sources will start drawing down by the mid-2020's. The Heritage Budds had a similarly broad date range in manufacture, and likewise passed that point in their gradual extinction where the aftermarket parts supply for AMTK's survivors has totally disappeared. Until the only way to service them is for Beech Grove to fabricate components themselves.

Once you're at a point where you're fabricating every major replacement part by yourself, that little bit of evolution distinguishing a 1982 Comet II from a 1996 Comet IV isn't so negligible anymore. Some subtly changed parts for one won't fit in the other without ugly force-fit kludges, so it ends up extra shop overhead to accommodate even minor differences in makes once the aftermarket is totally gone. And who knows how many Budd ____ I's, II's, VII's, etc. made up the Heritage bag, diner, and ex- coach rosters.

That's why VIA's long distance ex- CP Budds ordered in homogeneous one-time procurements are still economically serviceable while VIA's other corridor Budds cobbled together from later heterogeneous purchase and Amtrak Heritage dispersals are not. And why when most of the Heritage bags were displaced, the reserve fleet was isolated to one remaining homogenous lineage while the scrap line was parted out by greatest degree of evolutionary difference first. March of time vs. supply chain made this a deciding factor where once these cars were just as "same difference" a generic Budd design as a Comet II/III/IV is a generic Bombardier design.
  by adamj023

Anyone see the new diners on the rails so we know where they are headed after Hialeah?
  by chuchubob

Yes, they are on today's 97.
Edited to add photos.
Last edited by chuchubob on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Champlain Division

Quite frustrating! Can't find anything on YouTube about them. Anybody know where some videos of them are?
  by Tadman

ngotwalt wrote:Those 20 heritage diners are down to about nine, because of structural defects. These cars are real warhorses, at least one was built seventy years ago for service on the California Zephyr, these cars are simply at the end of their useful lives. Amtrak has been running them hard for 46 years, and they already had twenty or so years of service before that. I believe they are each fairly unique cars too, meaning there are cars from Northern Pacific, Burlington, New York Central, etc and each road built cars to their own specifications, so each car needs unique parts, which Beech Grove has to often custom manufacture. No, stick a fork in the old diners because they are done. Hopefully a few will end up in Museums. Especially ex CBQ CZ diner, it's one of only two left.
Cheers,
Nick
Bingo.

A note on what is known as "design life". When designing a passenger car, a frame isn't designed just to hold 50 tons of steel between two trucks. Because the structure rolls, rocks, bumps, freezes, etc... the 50 tons of steel acts dynamically. Think of it like bending a paper clip. The paper clip isn't just designed to hold 20 pages together. It's designed to hold 20 pages together while they are inserted and removed from a briefcase repeatedly, papers added and removed, stacked on top of other pages... thus a design life. If Staples assumes a design life of 90 days for a paper clip, they can figure out how to beef it up to survive the very dynamic life of a paper clip for 90 days. After that, it breaks. It's cheaper to replace than fix.

The same is true with railcars. The builder assumes (or is told by a railroad) perhaps a 30 year design life is required. They then calculate the stresses based on the average mileage rolled per year x30, the average couplings per year x30, the average loadings and unloadings per year x30 (more useful with freight cars as passenger weight is sorta negligible). They then figure out how to prepare a frame that won't crack or give out until 30+ years. It might last to 32, or 38, or maybe 40. But 50 or 75 is 2-3x design life, they just don't design for that. So it goes beyond repaint, rust repair, renovate interior. At some point, the fundamental bones of the train car are kaput.

A final note on excursions cars: they run perhaps 2x/week during a few seasons. Even if they run daily, the trains are usually slow moving, they aren't shunted hard, there is no hard use. That's why 1920's-vintage cars still run on dinner trains.

There is a word for this: "duty cycle". It measures how hard something is used given a constant capacity. A 74-passenger excursion car has a light duty cycle as it rolls 2x/week, 3-5 months/year. A commuter car has a medium duty cycle as it probably rolls 4x/day in AM, sits daytime downtown, 4x/day in PM, then sleeps nighttime in the burbs. An Amtrak car has a high duty cycle as it goes Chicago-LA for 3-4 days, sits a few hours, then goes back. It rolls all day every day. All of them hold similar passenger counts, but the wheels roll more, the couplings happen more often, the toilets flush more, the HVAC cranks far more CFM...

Makes sense?
  by ngotwalt

I do think it is safe to say that Budd postwar stainless steel cars were the most durable passenger railcars ever produced anywhere. I've heard it said the Pullmans rode better, were warmer in winter, cooler in summer, but Pullman used Cor Ten Steel for their frames, and your average Pullman lightweight car had a useful life of about forty years which is why Amtrak ditched every Pullman heritage car they had (save that one baggage car, for the life of me, I don't know why that one hung on until a few years ago). Those four letters when you saw them on a car you knew that was what true quality craftsmanship really was...BUDD.

Nick
  by Champlain Division

Thanks. No way I would have ever found it the way it was titled.
  by David Benton

Does anyone know what grade of stainless they use for the viewliners, and if it differs significantly from the budd cars.